Dry Verge Cowboy Job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With all this wind the lower 5 sections of my dry verge have come loose and bang back and fourth all night long.

I went up on ladders to check it out and it is not attached to anything. There is some loose mortar on the ground below. Is is possible probably that it was a lazy instal and they just bashed scres into the existing mortar verge?

If this is the case do I need to fit a wooden batton to the inner roof area to give it something to screw into?

New to this homeownership busuines so advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The mortar verge should be removed and the tile battens extended to fix the verges to.

The mortar verge should be removed and the tile battens extended to fix the verges to.
...however, we all know the travelling chancers NEVER do this job properly.

This is just one problem I have inherited since buying the house from the previous lazy owner.

Should I be able to retro-fit a batton from to the inside of the roof to which the verge can be fixed?

Sponsored Links
Its unlikely you will get a fix for a batten on the verge as the tile battens should be back further than the mortar.
The only real solution is to either re-instate the wet verge or you will need to strip back the tiles 2 or 3 rows to extend the battens to fix the verge closers to..

Another option (as long as you have a timber barge fascia and not cut brick gable) is to buy the deeper end caps that have the option to fix into the barge timber.

Uglier but slightly more practical.

personally. I wouldn't use anything than manthorpe dry verge. In my opinion theyre the best in the business. When ever I fit these, they will come with a 10 year guarantee. They should NOT come off.
If your going to do it yourself, take the end tiles off, clean all old mortar away and fix a 2x1 roofing battern down the gable end using screws.
If there is nothing to fix too, u will have to strip back tiles and fix the new timbers to the exisiting roof, making sure the timber finishes flush with the gable end.

hope this makes sense and I hope u get sorted soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back