Gas Dryer query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking at a new dryer and am considering a gas dryer which from what I read are cheaper long term.

Can someone clarify what is normal for gas dryers? As in, where I'd probably want it, is on an external wall, and not too far from the gas supply (15mm) for the cooker.

Would the Gas Safe chap run this off the cooker feed and vent it outside, and is there a specific type of gas safe engineer category who can commission a gas dryer?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
From memory, there are so few gas clothes dryers on the market you may find it difficult to find somebody who knows what they are!

Personal view - I'd avoid them - almost impossible to get them serviced.

External wall for air venting
May require additional room ventilation (for safe combustion)
Gas supply may need to be upgraded depending on what else you've got connected (hob, oven, boiler etc)

Personally, burning gas and clothes just seems wrong (but thinking about it, probably no worse than a pile of wet clothes and electricity!)

Gas dryers at ethe cheapest form of drying clothes bar hanging in the wind.
Look at White knight for choices.
Your gas engineer would need to have a competence module called LAU1 to work/install one for you.

If you are doing a lot of drying then they are definately more cost efficient gas is 3 times cheaper than electricity. However, they should be serviced yearly so you would need to factor the service cost into your calculations.

Also as prev poster has stated, you will need an external wall and adequate ventilation (ventilation required depends on the size of the room)

A registered engineer will be able to tell you if it is possible to connect to the existing cooker supply, i would reccommend contacting the manufacturer and asking them for a local installers number, because they are few and far between as there is little call for gas tumble dryers. So expect to pay a premium price for installation as this is a qualifacion that very few engineers have.

Sponsored Links
Providing customer chops s the hole for the vent hose to go out then its is not an expensive job to fit a tumble dryer it uses exactly the same fittings as a gas cooker and is as simple to f.
if an electric dryer costs a £1 to dry then gas one costs 40p
I have had gas dryers for past 22 years all white night last around 9 years before they start to play up and thats with being used every day as for servicing them i would say do you get your cooker serviced every year

I used to have the qualification for launderette gas dryers!

What always amuses me is how, on a lovely sunny day, people are burning up energy when the clothes could be drying naturally at no cost in the wind!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back