Do not mount DIRECTLY on combustible surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first time to ask question. Bought a PIR security light 120W > After reading the installation instructions, found out the light was-- " not suitable for direct mounting on normally flammable surface" My property has wood cladding, is this instruction exaggerating the risk? Is there some thing I can sandwich between the unit and the cladding that would eliminate the risk ? Thank you for any helpful suggestions :idea: javascript:emot(':idea:')icon

Sponsored Links
Around here, we usually tell folks to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

When they say
not suitable for direct mounting on normally flammable surface
they are probably saying that for a reason. Maybe a previous customer set fire to their house using one of those lights….

Post a link of the item.

There might be a chance that mounting it on a tile, lump of cement board or a metal Beezer box would be ok.

Sponsored Links
I fitted one to the plywood fascia board of my garage many years ago and it's been OK . Can't recommend you do it though !

Thanks for the ideas, was thinking along the lines of a heat resistant board as instructions said " not directly" . The item can be viewed on screwfix site. code9145D. Thanks again

Ahh one of those…

Notwithstanding the MIs. I have installed several of those, directly on wood backgrounds, with no issues. The mounting plate, and its box, is made of plastic, so that part is not going to get hot.

It will get hot through the cooling louvres at the top though, so be sure to take care with clearance distances.

Notwithstanding the MIs. I have installed several of those, directly on wood backgrounds, with no issues. The mounting plate, and its box, is made of plastic, so that part is not going to get hot.
Quite so. The OP asked the question "is this instruction exaggerating the risk?", and I would say that the answer has got to be 'yes'. I'd be surprised if, particularly outdoors, the mounting would get even significantly warm, let alone hot enough to ignite wood!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back