Who saw Mr Fs comments as regards Scotland?

Farage isn't a very good politician. If you are going to speak your mind you have to make it credible and he doesn't do that.

He sounds perfectly credible to me and, what's more, he's the one and only politician I believe.

Sponsored Links
I do not know if a clip on Scottish National TV made it to the National view?

I haven't seen it, so I don't know details of his proposals.

As far as I'm concerned, financial support should be provided equally across the whole country, and by that I mean the UK.

We hear that the Barnett Formula assigns more money to Scotland than to England, Wales and Northern Ireland yet, assuming this is true, I have no idea why this should be considered fair.

Is it bribery to keep the Scots, or at least those who want independence, happy?
its to do with giving equal value to everyone
a school trip or doctors trip is a few mins by car or public transport in a built up area with little cost
where as if you are in remote areas you have far greater distances so far more cost per head for basic services with perhaps a boat or plane trip as standard
or far less people for the dentist school or doctor requiring greater overheads
the barnet formula is perhaps 50 years old but designed to give help where needed to more standardize services

That makes a lot of sense.

I suppose that free prescriptions and free university education in Scotland are convenient spin-offs of this formula.

its more to do with priorities and choices
you give seven people the same circumstances and the same money and they will all make different choices
same with politicians and different areas

Sponsored Links
That makes a lot of sense.

I suppose that free prescriptions and free university education in Scotland are convenient spin-offs of this formula.

its more to do with priorities and choices
you give seven people the same circumstances and the same money and they will all make different choices
same with politicians and different areas

Yes, I can understand that but if the Scots assign more money to prescriptions and university education, where do they make cuts compared to England?

its like any family
they make the choices that best suit them
perhaps they spend less on libraries or road improvements
or publicizing the mayors champaign reception less compared to the affluent south
or spend less on limousines for the council employees than other councils south off the border

you can of course scrutinize the relevant documents usually on line for free

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
But lets face it.. if the snp and labour have any say in the next government you'll all be poor as fook anyrode. :LOL:

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think that's a price worth paying just so we aren't seen as honeypot Britain - destination for all international parasites and scroungers on the make.

Hell yes, let's bring back the 3 day week and a Labour, basket-case economy. At least it was our own mess and we wre all in it together. I could cope with going back to the enemy within just being Red Robbo or flying pickets at Longbridge. At least we knew where we were.

Fook the economy. Why should we slave away and make sacrifices to boost the living standards of the world's poor.

Everybody out!!!! ;)

its like any family
they make the choices that best suit them
perhaps they spend less on libraries or road improvements
or publicizing the mayors champaign reception less compared to the affluent south
or spend less on limousines for the council employees than other councils south off the border

you can of course scrutinize the relevant documents usually on line for free

Thanks. Of course they must make savings elsewhere, but I'd be interested to know specifically where.

On the other hand, I believe that in many ways we are a very wasteful country (mayor's receptions as you mention, for example) and money goes where it really shouldn't. Perhaps the Scots are just more financially efficient than the English and, if so, fair play to them.

But lets face it.. if the snp and labour have any say in the next government you'll all be poor as fook anyrode. :LOL:

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think that's a price worth paying just so we aren't seen as honeypot Britain - destination for all international parasites and scroungers on the make.

Hell yes, let's bring back the 3 day week and a Labour, basket-case economy. At least it was our own mess and we wre all in it together. I could cope with going back to the enemy within just being Red Robbo or flying pickets at Longbridge. At least we knew where we were.

Fook the economy. Why should we slave away and make sacrifices to boost the living standards of the world's poor.

Everybody out!!!! ;)

A nice thought, but I'm afraid it will not work. When was the last time Labour reduced handouts? They'll still come as long as there's summat for nowt. :rolleyes:

Farage isn't a very good politician. If you are going to speak your mind you have to make it credible and he doesn't do that.

He sounds perfectly credible to me and, what's more, he's the one and only politician I believe.
I actually don't mind him but find him a little similar to the SNP; A lot of talk but none of it appears to be about how they will actually deliver their promises.

Everybody out!!!! ;)

A nice thought, but I'm afraid it will not work. When was the last time Labour reduced handouts? They'll still come as long as there's summat for nowt. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's true - but maybe after several years of Red Ed, there'll be nothing left to hand out.

I do not know if a clip on Scottish National TV made it to the National view?

I haven't seen it, so I don't know details of his proposals.

As far as I'm concerned, financial support should be provided equally across the whole country, and by that I mean the UK.

We hear that the Barnett Formula assigns more money to Scotland than to England, Wales and Northern Ireland yet, assuming this is true, I have no idea why this should be considered fair.

Is it bribery to keep the Scots, or at least those who want independence, happy?
I read somewhere that this idea the Scots get £1800 "more" per head than the English is somewhat misleading, it gives the impression the Jocks are somehow benefitting financially as individuals from the Westminister subvention, has it got to with the fact that it costs more to provide and maintain public services such as roads, schools and hospitals ect in Scotland than England simply because Scotland has a smaller population spread out over a wider geographical area and therefor doesn't benefit from the economies of scale available in England.
The use of the Scottish border as an arbitrary dividing line to "prove" that Scotland gets more than England seems a bit suspect, if you take away all internal borders in Britain and rank the various regions according to how much they receive in public spending it could be that some regions in England could receive more in subvention than some regions of Scotland, I imagine that the N.East of England due to its location would receive more per head than London or the South East of England, don't know whether that is correct though.

I read somewhere that this idea the Scots get £1800 "more" per head than the English is somewhat misleading, it gives the impression the Jocks are somehow benefitting financially as individuals from the Westminister subvention, has it got to with the fact that it costs more to provide and maintain public services such as roads, schools and hospitals ect in Scotland than England simply because Scotland has a smaller population spread out over a wider geographical area and therefor doesn't benefit from the economies of scale available in England.

I can appreciate the need to spend more to provide roads, schools and hospitals, etc, in parts of Scotland (and that a similar situation could prevail in some parts of England, Wales and Northern Ireland), but what about residents in the centre of Scotland - Glasgow and Edinburgh, and elsewhere - who receive free prescriptions and free university education?

Sponsored Links
Back