Slowwwwwwwwww....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have this HP Compaq sg 3210, which is plenty good enough for my needs. BUT recently it's started to play up THE FIRST TIME I TURN IT ON in the morning: IE in particular, is really slow, and often tells me it's 'Not Responding', and even when it does get going, it's really really slow. Usually it picks up after a while: sometimes I have to close it and start again, which normally improves things: though on occasions it's so bad that I've totally rebooted, and then it's all okay!???
BUT! The really odd thing to me is that I can put it on at any time for the rest of the day and it's fine. Totally quick and responsive!
Norton tells me my RAM is low, and I'm quite happy to get some more, but why on earth is this problem only first thing in the morning???
Any ideas??
Dave.
[/i]

Sponsored Links
"Maybe your computer is just not a morning person"
Thanks for your reply. Funnily enough, I'm a very early riser and I start up the pc at around 5-5:30 am. (That's when I have the problem, after it's been going, it's ok for the rest of the day.) (So maybe you're right!)
We have a guy locally who purports to fix computers, and when I emailed him and explained what was happening, he had no explanation, but he said exactly what you said. "Maybe your computer is just not a morning person".
Not exactly helpful, but the same thought was in my mind! :D
Bl**dy annoying though, at that time of day. It never used to be like this!

I presume the link was no help.

I wonder if it is date related if you turn off at 11.30pm and on again at 5.30am the problem occurs but if you turn off at 9 am and back on at say 9pm and the problem does not show it is date rather than time related if you get my drift.

It is possible that somehow a process, perhaps part of Norton, has been scheduled to run daily at first boot up.

On the other hand I had trouble with downloading updates on my old PC happened three times and each time I forgot how I solved it. :confused:

Then remembered the time and date were wrong (I suspect the internal battery was on its last legs) resetting the date and time cured it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help.
I did try the link you sent, but not being that knowledgeable about pcs I couldn't understand half of what they were saying!!! :)
However, what you said about Norton doing stuff first thing sounded like a good thought, and sure enough, I just checked and it starts doing stuff as soon as I turn it on.
This morning I turned it on, left it for about 20 mins, then went back and it opened up IE straight away. Maybe that's the answer.
Incidentally, it kept reporting that my IP address has disappeared? Does that matter? Norton says 'No Action Required.'
Thanks again for your help.

Like you once computer buffs start throwing terms at me I glaze over.

Have you tried the Norton community forum much more help than the Norton "help" either go to https://community.norton.com and sign up or go through your Norton program if you feel safer.
It can take a bit of finding but it is there, which OS (XP Vista etc) are you using and which Norton product?

Cheers. I'll try that community thing later today. In the meantime, I'm using Windows 7 and Norton 360.
Years ago I had problems with Norton taking up so much memory on my old pc, and I changed to something else, which helped at the time. But with this newer one it was already installed, and until recently all has been well.
Maybe Norton is a bit over-zealous? That other geezer I mentioned earlier doesn't like it, but I've always been happy with it because it keeps me updated with what's going on, and that gives me confidence in it. HOWEVER, this morning I looked into the settings and stuff on it and found (I think) that I can stop it from automatically doing background tasks as soon as I turn it on. Is that a good idea, do you think?
But THIS morning, after it was going okay, an hour or so later it wasn't??? Couldn't access IE. "Not Responding", and in the end I shut it down. Aaaaaaggghhhh! But half an hour ago I started up again and it's fine.
I'm not tight; I'm quite happy to pay this bloke (who advertises "Computer Repairs" to install more RAM and change the anti-virus if he thinks.... but he's not too responsive. (Rather like my IE sometimes!!!)
Thanks again for your advice.

Don't use I.E. , it's like a magnet for bugs, Firefox or Chrome instead. Don't use Hotmail or whatever it is now called either.
AVG free is a perfectly good anti-virus, Norton used to be horrific maybe it is better now.
Worth running spybot. It seems to be very reliable and safe, at least when I used it (I was the IT person for a 50 staff company). https://www.safer-networking.org/. the free one is fine, it might find something

Okay guys, thanks for your help. The only trouble is, the more I read the more confused I get!!! But then, I am really old, and always a bit nervous about downloading something new: which is why I 'm more than happy to pay someone who knows what they're doing to come and do it. But.....
I've stopped Norton from doing scans and tune-ups when it feels like it, so I'll see if that makes any difference tomorrow am; I always get it to do all that on a regular basis anyway; and to delete temp files and all that stuff.
Chrome; if I download it, can I easily add my Favourites and things to it? Is it much different to use? (My wife and I are both in our '70's and believe me, change doesn't come easy!!!)
Anyway, enough of that. Thanks again for your interest; I do appreciate your input. As I said previously, I'm more than happy to pay someone to bung in some more RAM, (2 GB at the moment, which was massive at one time!) maybe change the anti-virus and install Chrome. But it's a case of finding somebody around here.
So; let's see what happens tomorrow morning...(fingers crossed smiley)

OH!! Something else I meant to mention! I'm sure that the Yahoo toolbar may be playing its part in all this because sometimes it opens up ok and sometimes it doesn't. And it mainly only gets spam anyway. But I do sometimes use it. So, this morning I disabled it in Add-ons to see if it makes any difference.
But, I have 3 email addresses, the main one on Live Mail, one on Gmail, and that one on Yahoo. So, can I just install something like Outlook, so the Yahoo mail goes there?

Might be worth running 'spy bot' cleans lots of trackers and data miners which slow browsing.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. :D

As said by Peter IE is a bit fussy I gave up using it years ago, only time it gets used is when updating Microsoft because Microsoft defaults to it.

I run Firefox and Chrome as a back up if for any reason Firefox goes down.

You can install several browsers on your computer and just click on the icon for whichever you want to use. Both Fire fox and Chrome give the option to copy favorites from IE when installing.
Very easy to do yourself, you may have a "Browser Choice" icon on your computer, Microsoft was compelled to give that option to use it's rivals some years ago to help break it's monopoly. You just click on it and select the browser you want to load.

Never used 7, only XP Vista and 8.1 but you should be able to search your computer (not the net) for Browser choice and find that option unless it has been removed.

Not a fan of Outlook I tend to stick with Yahoo & Gmail.

Disabling some of your add ons may well help, 2 GB ain't much these days but should run the internet fine, again fitting ram yourself is quite simple lots of articles and videos on line to show how but I can understand taking a screwdriver to the case is a bit daunting!

Not a company that has a wonderful reputation but for just fitting some ram PC World might be a fair bet, if you can't get recommended to a good geek! ;)

Lots of us silver surfers around these days rock on! :mrgreen:

How much free space have you got on your C: drive?

It's known that if it's almost full then Windows cannot make it's swap files etc and slows right down.

Hi, I've just checked it. It tells me 'RAM 2GB...1.75 usable.'

And the C Drive: 218GB free of 289. (Should be ok?).

It was a bit sluggish to start with this morning, even though yesterday I switched Norton from doing automatic scans and things; I was hoping that would have made a difference, but not so far. But it got over that and has been working perfectly since.

Regarding Chrome, when I say IE, that's what it calls itself, I'm actually using Google, but if, as you say, I can have both, then I'll give it a go. Somebody else told me it's a lot better, as well.
Thanks again.

Hold the windows key and hit "r".
Type "msconfig.exe" and hit enter.

On the startup tab, go through the programs that are being started, google each one that you do not know about.

Selective removal from boot of some of these applications can speed up your boot process.

Sponsored Links
Back