How to provide "natural ventilation" near boiler i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

On a tenanted property, need to provide "natural ventilation near the boiler", in the kitchen, for health and safety reasons.

What's the best way of acheiving this?

I think one method would be by having a 6" hole (covered obviously).
But what tools do I need for this, considering it'll be a double wall we'll be drilling thru? I'd like to rent something from HSS, but don't know what to ask for!

Thanks

P

Sponsored Links
A 5 inch hole in itself is 126cm squared. You can get purpose made gas vents which fit such a hole and provide a maximum of 100cm squared.

You need 5cm squared per killowatt of net heat input, after the first 7kw which is taken care of by adventitious ventilation, any other open flued appliances in the room have to be added to the boiler.

1kw is 3,412 btu.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for replying. However, I think I didn't explain my situation clearly. The boiler has been in place for years, and has a flue that goes to the outside.
However, the Housing Association that rents the property off me want some form of 'natural ventilation' - by this I understand either a hole in the wall that's covered with a vent, or one of those plastic 'brick' things that are often places low down on external walls for venticaltion.

Thanks for the replies guys.

the Housing Association that rents the property off me want some form of 'natural ventilation'
Sounds like the HA doesn't really understand the issue here. As others have said, the ventilation requirement, if any, will depend on the type of boiler.

If it's a room-sealed (fanned-flue) combi, like most boilers in flats nowadays, it does not require any ventilation. Tell the HA to stop talking out their orifice and do some homework.

If you are the Landlord you (or your agent - the HA?) are legally obliged to have an annual gas safety check carried out by a Corgi registered engineer. this will identify any shortcomings in the existing ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back