!996 Corsa 1.4 eng. man. warning light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone could point me in right direction have just got 1996 1.4 sohc corsa. Have driven it about 200 miles and now eng man light comes on. haven't found anyloss of power or to be honest anything un-normal about it. I know lights do ontimes come on but to ignore but this hasn't gone out at all so wonder what i should check out. Am i right thinking the amount of techie bits and bods on this engine isn't too great. Would it be oxygen sensor or similar.

Sponsored Links
It depends which type of engine i.e. C14NZ......C14SE....OR....X14SZ

There is a way of getting what is known as "flash codes" to identify the problem by bridging certain terminals in the diagnostic socket and counting the flashes of the MIL light on the instrument panel.The only other way is with a fault code reader.

The engine code can be found at the r/hand side (near side) of the engine.Let me know and I will tell you how to access the codes.

;)

sorry for such a delay in getting back the engine number is 14SZ had to clean it up a bit to read it. Just an observation and I know its not really very scientific but here goes. The warning light comes on when im driving up rought country roads which have rough surfaces ( i know don't drive up then and everything will be ok). When light comes on there is no loss of power or anything i can see wrong with engine power, just the light comes on. If i pull over and turn off , then restart its all ok no light.

Sounds like a loose connection,you still need to access the codes to point you in the right direction.First of all you need to check the diagnostic plug and see if it has a terminal at position No.6. If it has I can send you the info via E-MAIL and you can read the "flash codes" If it has not ,you can only get a reading with a fault code reader.

;)

Sponsored Links
Yes i agree with what you think more than likely a loose connection and as you say do need to have some idea where to start to look.

To answer your connection yes I do have a pin 6 thats counting from bottom of muti point connector in fuse box.

may be of use, may not be, but here goes.

astra engine managament light came on , would not go out. Black insulation tape over lamp, no problem anymore :LOL:

no, just kidding but i felt like it.

At a set of traffic lights a bloke said only my high level brake light was working, i went to car parts place, 2 new brake / tail lights no more engine managment light

unless the light was on to say its going to blow soon :LOL:

but it maybe (only maybe) something just as simple causing your light to come on

To access the flash codes:-
1/ ensure the ignition is off
2/ bridge data link connector terminal 6 and earth
3/ switch ignition on
4/ trouble codes will be displayed in groups of flashes on the MIL light
5/ each trouble code consists of four groups of one or more flashes
6/ the first group indicates the "thousands" of the code
7/ the second group of flashes indicate the "hundreds"
8/ the third is the tens
9/ the fourth is the units
10/ ten flashes in a group indicate "0"
11/ a short pause separates each group
12/ a long pause separates each trouble code

Example :- 1st.group =1 flash..short pause... 2nd.group=10 flashes..short pause... 3rd.group=2 flashes..short pause...4th.group=4 flashes..long pause = code 1024
If you post the results I will tell you what the code represents,there are far too many to list here.

Breezer
for future ref. some vehicles from the last ten years include a fault code for the brake pedal switch circuit (this particular vehicle is code No.1571)

;)

Back