Hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just been fitting a new shower pump next to the hot water cylinder,
the gate valve on the hot inlet to the pump from the tank failed to work, so I shut off the water supply to the tank, changed the gate valve after draining water.
Now on refilling the tank water is coming from the tank around nut holding the hot water outlet from the tank to the pump. It is now turning and the washer seems to have started crumbling. Can I use plumbers mate to seal it, as i'm not sure if it will work in hot areas with that sort of pressure. If not what can I do?

Please help as we are without hot water at the moment because of the leak.

Thoth

Sponsored Links
And I haven't had a drop to drink :confused: :confused:

Can you explain that a tad better for the confused ones.

What bits leaking where will do :rolleyes:

It's laeking around the nut that holds the outlet pipe (for the shower) to the tank. I pulled away a bit of the tank insulation and can see water dripping down.

Thoth said:
It's laeking around the nut that holds the outlet pipe (for the shower) to the tank. I pulled away a bit of the tank insulation and can see water dripping down.

Is this a bit you've just fitted or is it part of the original installation?

Sponsored Links
Seems like you have an aftermarket flange, sometimes called an Essex flange. After a few years the rubber seal deteriorates so any disturbance may cause the leak you tried to describe. The solution is to renew the fitting which includes partially draining the cylinder and removing the immersion heater.

By tank I assume you mean the cold strage in the loft and not the cylinder, and the pipe is the cold feed that goes to the pump or the cold feed to the cylinder

Thanks meldrew's_mate the only problem is there is no immersion heater just a large nut that will not turn. Is the only way to do this to change the washer, therefore gaining access to the inside of the cylinder?

No doitall I meant the cylinder and it is the hot water feed for the shower.

Thoth said:
...there is no immersion heater just a large nut that will not turn. Is the only way to do this to change the washer, therefore gaining access to the inside of the cylinder?...

Depends on the make of flange, some have a split backing washer which can be "unscrewed" so a new rubber (nitrile) washer can be inserted. It's a bit fiddly and high risk (risk of it dropping into the cylinder) but fortune favours the brave....sometimes!!

Thanks again meldrew's_mate the only prob is the whole thing turns and I don't want to mess the thread up by clamping it with mole grips, or the like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back