No water in upstairs rads following picture hanging incident

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Man, what a weekend I'm having. Putting up a picture in downstairs loo - Nail goes in, water comes out.

A fair bit of swearing, chiselling, and taping later, I have a temporarily repaired pipe.

Turns out the pipe was a central heating pipe feeding the radiator in the loo

Anyway the trouble now is, the leak drained the water from anything above the hole (i.e. the upstairs rads) Now I don't know how to get water back in them (tried bleeding them, but after a few seconds the airflow stops and no water to be seen).

More worrying is that the CH pump in the airing cupboard smells kinda funny and is red hot. (I've turned off the CH now)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
check in the loft and look at the small tank see if the ballvalve is stuck in the off position if so give the arm a tap and fill up your systme, would be a good idea to turn off the boiler completely before hand to avoid airlocking the system

if not you have a blocked cold feed in which case i would advise you cantact a professional, loads will disagree but there it is

Corgiman,

Turned off boiler

Small tank in loft has plenty of water (and loads of scummy stuff) and the ball valve is working fine (I pushed it down and a load of fresh water came through).

Your diagnosis indicates a "blocked cold feed" Is there anything I can try to resolve this before getting my cheque book out?

Thanks for your help.

well you can start cutting pipe to find the blokage

thats about it

I would advise chq book time

Sponsored Links
OK, point taken.

I think I'll stop while I'm out of my depth metaphorically not literally!

Thanks for your time, great forum.

Actually, while I'm logged on...

How do I know where not to bang nails into the wall (plastic pipes so metal detector no good).

Are the pipes always slap bang in the middle of the rads as in this case, or should I just find an alternative method of hanging pictures?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also, any idea how much I should expect to pay to get my blocked cold feed sorted?

no idea as to price (how long is a piee of string situation)

as for the pipes I have no idea how you would avoid them are they in line witht the rads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back