Banging back boiler

Tor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've just moved into a cottage after spending seven weeks renovating it. A couple of weeks ago the pipes from the back boiler started making really loud banging noises - not the nicest way to be woken up at 5am!!!

It is a back boiler running from mains gas, about five years old and serviced just before we got the place two months ago. At first the boiler was nice and quiet, but not anymore!!! We have had some plumbing work done (new stopcock and new kitchen), but this didn't start immediately after the work had been done, it was a few days later.

Any ideas? My father suggested it may be air in the system and that bleeding the radiators should help - does this sound like a likely cause and plausible solution???

Thanks,
Tor

Sponsored Links
Tor said:
Hi all,
It is a back boiler running from mains gas, about five years old and serviced just before we got the place two months ago.
Tor

Some people believe anything! Servicing a back boiler takes about 90 minutes and involves taking off the fire front!

Check the header tank is full of water and that the pump is running if its a fully pumped system ( Whats that? See FAQ )

Tony

Agile said:
Some people believe anything! Servicing a back boiler takes about 90 minutes and involves taking off the fire front!

Check the header tank is full of water and that the pump is running if its a fully pumped system ( Whats that? See FAQ )

Tony

It was serviced and had been working perfectly until a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it is working perfectly - just very noisily!!! I'll check the header tank and pump. If I'm woken up again at 5 tomorrow morning I'll be back asking more questions :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back