Ferroli Sigma 40-60 boiler

spoke too soon!!!!!!

Question...... I have a 2 port valve on both the hot water and the central heating pipes.

When the cylinder stat calls for heat, the 2 port valve on the hot water pipe turns and when it finishes turning the pump starts, the boiler lights etc as normal.

When the cylinder stat is satisfied, the pump stops but the valve does not close at all, unless i turn the programmer switch to off on the hot water section. Is the 2 port valve on the water pipe supposed to close as soon as the cylinder stat is satisfied???

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
steveuk1971 said:
spoke too soon!!!!!!

Question...... I have a 2 port valve on both the hot water and the central heating pipes.

When the cylinder stat calls for heat, the 2 port valve on the hot water pipe turns and when it finishes turning the pump starts, the boiler lights etc as normal.

When the cylinder stat is satisfied, the pump stops but the valve does not close at all, unless i turn the programmer switch to off on the hot water section. Is the 2 port valve on the water pipe supposed to close as soon as the cylinder stat is satisfied???

Thanks in advance.

Further looking at this by me shows that "sometimes" after the motorised valve (on water or heating circuit) turns fully on, this sends signal and boiler starts but pump does not! hence banging kettling noise. Flicking the programmer switch off and on again makes the pump then miraculously start!

Why would the pump not come on (it is a new pump) sometimes but not others? How does the motorised valve work? When it is fully open does it then make a connection on the live terminal and simultaneously turns on pump and boiler or does it send out to one or other first?? Thanks.

Basically i am trying to ascertain if I need 2 new motorised valves, new programmer or rewire the whole damn thing.

update......

i tested the electrics on the boiler...... turned the hot water stat up which in turn triggered the motorised valve to turn which in turn triggered the boiler to turn on. using basic electric testing prong thing from B&Q it showed Live at the permanent live, the switched live but NOT at the Live output connection to where the circulating pump is connected to the boiler, hence pump did not come on and within a minute or so, boiler started to rumble/kettle etc. Thus PROVING (in my mind anyway) that fault lies in dodgy relay bit on PCB on boiler itself. This was filmed with my camcorder as proof (showing me testing each bit).

Emailed ferroli and they agreed after a while to send their senior engineer out and do a FREE repair even though boiler now 18 months old and out of 1 yr warranty. (I have kept all emails as proof of their agreement).

Hopefully this intermittent fault will be there when he calls but if not will show him my video as proof.

Just for info was told if their engineer calls out and did not confirm boiler fault then standard charge is £190 + VAT !!!!!!!!!!!! just for call-out. Rip-off!

So, if anyone has same or similar problems hope this helps.

steveuk1971 said:
steveuk1971 said:
spoke too soon!!!!!!

Question...... When the cylinder stat is satisfied, the pump stops (and switched live to the boiler ceases) but the motorised valve does not close at all, unless i turn the programmer switch to off on the hot water section. Is the 2 port valve on the water pipe supposed to close as soon as the cylinder stat is satisfied???

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone comment on the above question at all ?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well done for getting there DESPITE our wonderful "help"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back