Swinging sixties!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never seen this before- was it common practice way back then?
Looked at a job today to change some very old rad valves on some very old radiators. The elderly chap was a 'Qualified heating engineer' but not a fitter, design and sales it seems, retiring at the end of the sixties.
Anyway, it turns out that his 'vent' is just an extension of the indirect feed into the cylinder with a manual air vent on the end which stays shut. 'Don't like inhibitor' he said, 'Don't need it'. Normal 15mm/1/2 inch feed pipe from header. Reckons this arrangement is safe and problem free. 'Ooeer' I said!
Any thoughts?
BTW, the rad valve heads looked like flat cookies or the top bit of USS Enterprise straight onto the body of the valve. Cream plastic, not the long spindle sort you used to see in school etc. Open to shut in about a quarter turn with a gauge marked on there. He reckons they were the muts in those days- I've never seem anything of the like- and I'm no spring chicken!

Sponsored Links
Get one thing quite clear, if the system is install by text book, no air can enter the system so no corrosion.

The system I fitted in my country cottage is 25 ish years old, same everything except the thermocouple ( replaced twice) and that includes the original water.

The cold feed takes the expansion and other than filling no vent was required, although nearly always fitted because british Gas condemed the practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back