Big immersion heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our boiler has been condemned where I work so we are without heating. This isnt a problem as the offices are warm enough without it. It was a 330000btu Ideal boiler. The problem is the hot water.

We have a cylinder on the roof with 1 immersion heater in it and another which is disconnected. This doesnt heat the water fast enough for it to be more than tepid. I was thinking of getting 2 immersion heaters of a large size but cant seem to see any bigger than 3kw. The cylinder is about 6' tall and we need rapid recovery.

We dont want the expense or maintenance of another gas boiler so would prefer to avoid that route.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I depends what the cylinder is and what the power supply is.
What are you using the water for?
This one's 10kW, £300+
U50505.gif

Is the cylinder just for hand-washing in the toilets, or is the hot water used in a kitchen or for any industrial work?

Is the cylinder well-insulated?

How many people work there?

(there are some "instant" hand-washing hot-water devices around).

The cylinder is for 5 basins, 2 kitchenettes and 4 mixer showers. I think people are running the hot tap so the cylinder never recovers. The cylinder has that factory foam on it. there are 200 people working here but there are another 7 boilers elsewhere for them.

That 10 kw one is unlikely to fit in the existing cylinder I would have thought?

Electrically wise, we have a 1600A 3 phase supply to the building so we should be ok on that score.

Sponsored Links
That 10 kw one is unlikely to fit in the existing cylinder I would have thought?
Precisely my point.
If your cylinder has a domestic sized fitting fed from a domestic sized supply you aren't likely to get an industrial heater into it.

Reasonable reheat time, considering 4 showers, will need a lot of kW.

Simplest answer is probably a smaller gas boiler.

Thanks - I suspected gas was probably the only way. Any recomendations on a suitable boiler? Are Keston any good? these seem to be the plumbers favourite.

What about those cylinders that have the burner at the bottom? ever used one of those?

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. We have been quoted for a megaflow hot water cylinder. It is the same price installed for gas or electric. I was thinking the electric might be better as there are smaller maintenance heaters and we are getting some panel convectors for supplimentary heat installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back