Central Heating

Sponsored Links
I have run off a couple of buckets form the radiator drain point furthest away and the water definately started to heat up coming out of the hose pipe. Once I stopped however the water an rads cooled back down.

I suspect the pump even through its running I think it may have worn out internally? Is there a quick test I can do? How do you bleed the pump Grundfos type?

pump has following information on iy. can anyone tell me if this is an old one and also what would be an equivalent model.

Grundfos
Type UPs15 45 x 16
Model A No D219
50hz
2.5mf
speed 3 = 0.33
2000 N/m2

hope this helps?

Sponsored Links
dannyo said:
I have run off a couple of buckets form the radiator drain point furthest away and the water definately started to heat up coming out of the hose pipe. Once I stopped however the water an rads cooled back down.

I suspect the pump even through its running I think it may have worn out internally? Is there a quick test I can do? How do you bleed the pump Grundfos type?
There is a silver screw in the middle of the body of the pump-loosen the screw with a large flat blade screwdriver and wait until water comes out-best have an old towel ready. ;)

thanks for your response!
I did let air out of pump before.
I have actually fitted a new pump tonight however still no hot radiators?

A bit more info is needed-what type of boiler are you using? Did you drain the system or just isolate the pump to change it?

I drained it. Nearest heater to pump is now red hot but others are still cold?
Can I back flush the system using mains pressure through one of the drain valaves on the last radiator to get all air out?

1. What method did you use to vent the system.
2. What condition is the water in the F&E in?
3. Are there any vents near the cylinder and/or above the boiler?

I vented the system by attaching a hosepipe to the drain plug, opening thedrain tap and turning on mains the water.
the only vent near the cylider is above the 3 position valve on the water tank side - I have bled this.
Water is crystal clear as I put fernox in hte system 18 months ago.
Could it be that they rads neebds balancing?

dannyo said:
I vented the system by attaching a hosepipe to the drain plug, opening thedrain tap and turning on mains the water.
That's filling, not venting. How did you remove the air from the places where it collects?

the only vent near the cylider is above the 3 position valve on the water tank side - I have bled this.
OK - what about the rads? And the boiler?

Could it be that they rads neebds balancing?
Hm. I would shut all rads except for the furthest one, get that working and then work around the system with only rad working at a time.

Have shut down all rads.
I have bled about 4 buckets of water off the radiator furthest away but it is still not heating up! It did heat up at one point but then went cool again so I carried on bleeding water off?
Pump is hot so the hot water is available?
Should I just keep bleeding - only water seeems to be coming out now no air?

A pump can get hot without pumping hot water! For example, if it's airlocked or blocked.

If you get water to the rad and not from it then you have either a blockage or failed pump, or both.

I still can't tell whether or not you've vented all air from the boiler and the rest of the system, because you don't answer very many questions, so I give up.

sorry - I have bled pump using release screw on the side of it and there is defiantely water in it. also pipes leading away from it are hot. I have also had radiaotrs upstairs hot but have now closed these off as suggested earlier.

I can find no way of bleeding my boiler?

roughly how many litres of water should I bleed off the radiator before I can asume all air is out between pump and radiator?

If you close all upstairs rad valves fully, and open all downstairs ones, and the downstairsand rads still don't get hot, and you're certain that they're no air in the system, then I would say that you have a failed or worn pump.

Some people replace just the pump body, where unless it's a regular customer and I know that the system is utterly clean (because I've maintained it), then I always renew both the valves and the whole pump at the same time.

On domestic systems I generally fit Grundfos 15-50 pumps, or a 15-60 if there are lots of rads.

There are lots of topics on draining down and pump replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back