Peeling paint on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- we had our hall, stairs and landing plastered over a month ago. We painted the whole lot with watered down white matt paint then left to dry. We then painted with B&Q own brand matt coloured paint, but the next day one area had peeled away- does anyone know why and what we can do to stop it happenning again. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What EXACT make & types of emulsions have you used and how much did you thin emulsions ?

Hi- the first coat was half water and half Trade Vinyl Matt made by SigmaKalon, then another coat of just paint, then a coat of B&Q Colours Matt

First of all, thinning down your first coat by 50% is far too much in my opinion, as this can cause problems. Second of all, SOMETIMES when using diferent brands over each other then this can result in adverse reactions (hard to prove though). Also, was the area that has blistered more shiny Plaster than other areas, prior to painting ? Also, was the Plaster fully dry at the area that has blistered when painting ? Also, is the blistered area a 'cold spot' in your hallway ?

Sponsored Links
Hi again- the plaster was very smooth in that area- it was a corner at the top of the stairs and was dry. It was only after we put the top coat on that the paint peeled away (the B&Q stuff) and it hasn't happenned in any other place. If you rub your finger on the plaster it leaves a powdery mark on your finger, all the rest is painted so I don't know if it did this everywhere. Any ideas?? Would watered down PVA glue on the plaster first help? Thanks!

What is the full instructions on the 'B&Q own brand matt coloured paint" ?

pOSSIBLE THAT THE PLASTER HAS BEEN POLISHED AND THE NEXT COAT HAS CAUSED IT TO LIFT?

OOPS sorry caps

Zampa said:
pOSSIBLE THAT THE PLASTER HAS BEEN POLISHED AND THE NEXT COAT HAS CAUSED IT TO LIFT?

OOPS sorry caps
That answer just 'caps it all' off, lol......

Zampa said:

OOPS sorry caps

If this is the case, what do I need to do to make the paint 'stick' to the wall, should I (or get hubby to) sand the area down first? The instructions on the B&Q paint recommended using their new plaster paint on new plasterwork first, but the plasterer told us watered down emulsion would be ok and I assumed B&Q new plaster paint would probably just be a tin of watered down emulsion anyway!
It's really annoying me now! I just want to get it finished before Christmas....!!

We all learn from each other "shan64", though it is obvious that you have NO CLAIM against B&Q due to not following there instructions. You see the thing is, by buying cheaper paints then you run the risk of things going wrong. But thee again that is why the B&Q instructions are worded the way they are i.e. to get more money out of your pocket in the long run. Also, the plasterer telling you to use 'watered down emulsion' can mean anything realy as there are loads of emulsions out there which CANNOT be used as an sealer with new/bare plaster, even when thinned down. Anyway, hopefully the peeling does not happen on all your walls at a later date, however, coat the problem wall with Zamix Superprime and leave to dry (i would give it at least 72 hours to be safe), then coat it with your B&Q emulsion. OR you could buy some of the B&Q new plaster paint and use that....................................

Third_Eye said:
We all learn from each other "shan64", though it is obvious that you have NO CLAIM against B&Q due to not following there instructions. You see the thing is, by buying cheaper paints then you run the risk of things going wrong. But thee again that is why the B&Q instructions are worded the way they are i.e. to get more money out of your pocket in the long run. Also, the plasterer telling you to use 'watered down emulsion' can mean anything realy as there are loads of emulsions out there which CANNOT be used as an sealer with new/bare plaster, even when thinned down. Anyway, hopefully the peeling does not happen on all your walls at a later date, however, coat the problem wall with Zamix Superprime and leave to dry (i would give it at least 72 hours to be safe), then coat it with your B&Q emulsion. OR you could buy some of the B&Q new plaster paint and use that....................................

I consider myself well and truly told off Third Eye! Us mere mortals choose our paint by the colour rather than the make which is why we chose B&Q stuff, which incidentally isn't that cheap anyway! I will try using a proper sealing paint now! Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back