Inadvertantly cut a light cable short in the wall...help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a bit of a panic as I have no idea how to fix this one...admittedly the cable was a little too long for the new light fitting (flush into the wall rather than perched on top of the wall).
I can just about grab the end with plyers but they aren't going anywhere...no give/stretch - some way off connecting to the light switch fitting (1 way/1 gang).
Is there anything I can do to reasonably rescue myself here? I'd only just papered the wall so don't fancy hitching the switch further up the wall (to gain extra length on the cable)...aside from the wrath of the missus (I can explain it away mind) am I in trouble here?? Is it feasible to 'crimp' the cables/add block etc?

Thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
crimping is ok yes, much better than choc block.

is it just the cores of the cable thats too short? and not the whole cable itself? as long as the cable carries through into the backbox of the switch then crimping the cores to extend is no problem whatsoever.

The cable/cores were cut off at the same point...you won't like this but...I was drilling holes in a piece of timber on which the original wall mounted light switch was placed...that drill slid a little towards the cable (of which I had at least 1 1/2 " to play with. It basically tore the cable off...I wasn't happy at this stage!
It barely reached the bacl plate to be honest...which is why I'm a little concerned. I've never crimped (even my hair when I was a goth for two weeks as a kid) or had to extend via choc block (although the ceiling fitting is just that).
What's the prognosis... :(

Crimp a new piece of 1.mm twin and earth to the old cable and wrap the joint in amalgamating tape. Use ratchet crimpers, not the squeeze and pray type.

Sponsored Links
Oh and by the way - just to add to my misery here - the light switch on the opposite room looks like it was mounted to the same piece of timber (was this once standard???). As I was chiselling away the wood/brick so I could fit the back plate out, this has obviously shifted the timber which in turn has moved the plaster on the next wall to the floor in relatively large chunks.
Calamity I tell you! I did actually plan to sink the switch on the other wall but as this is sharing the same bit of timber is this possible, or should I move this into brick?
At least the new lights I installed on the ceiling worked (on the old switch_ before disaster struck!

Thanks Qedelec - cut back a little of the existing core (and the new cable) first? I'll visit the hardware store tomorrow with a list.
Thanks...looks like I might rescue this yet then...it something I've learned.
Cheers.

I've just had a quick browse and it looks like decent ratchet crimp/er is quite costly considering I'll be doing this the one time (at least for the forseeable future). I don't know anyone I can ask to borrow one either.
Might I get away with a choc block (15 amp??)...there will be room behind the back plate to accomodate one. It's probably not the best advised route (and less permanent) but I can't really justify £20 for a quick squeeze (steady).
Saying that, it really is tight in the wall...I'm not even sure I'd be able to fir the end of the ratchet tool in there - I may even struggle getting the cores into a chok block.
Cheers.

Yup...haven't owned one for years...but a quick browse reveals that local hardware store sells these at a pretty reasonable price (25 watt box standard do the trick?).
Ok - this may be the best choice/only choice under the cirumstances - quick tips?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back