Artex ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have artex'd ceilings in my house and would like to have them skimmed so they're nice and flat and then install halogen downlighters to replace the single ceiling rose in the centre of the room as its a really harsh light and I think downlighters spreas across the ceiling will provide a much softer light.

Anyway, should I make the holes for the downlighters BEFORE I get a plasterer to skim the ceiling, or should I wait until after?

Also, should I do anything at all to the ceiling considering its artex and most of this stuff contains asbestos? I dont want to start drilling holes for the lights if it will distrub the asbestos and cause problems for us.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've found that its better to skim and then drill the holes for the downlighters, it just looks neater. If you cut holes first then skim you never seem to get a nice neat aperture for the lights, bits of plaster dried to the edges of the holes etc. If you can get access to the ceiling from lifting boards above then you won't need to take down the existing ceiling. If this is too much of a hoo haa you can fish the cables and wires by making a few strategically placed holes in the ceiling to get past the joists, or just pull the lot down and start from scratch.

Sponsored Links
Regarding skiming over the artex unibond 24 hours before and again before skimming it ,cut holes later better finish.r u going to lift the floorboards to rewire the downliters? could be alot of fishing around going on otherwise... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back