Need help with fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Ive moved my kitchen and need to move water main to match. Ive got a black plastic pipe about 22mm diameter coming into house with a stop valve on. i need to swap this to a coupler to some blue alc (sp) and put a new valve on further along the new pipe. what connector do i need? Also got no stop cock on the pavement. rang united utilities for advice and they suggested squashing the pipe with g clamps while i change the valve - gulp!

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber, but it occurs to me that the best way forward would be to leave the original stop valve in place and run new pipe out of it to a secondary valve in your new kitchen. Then turn the original on a forget it exists.

Joe - good answer - That was my plan but the original one is leaking slightly. can i change the washer on this while it is still connected to the mains? or is there something i can en-case it in to make it water proof. My plan was to change the tap to an inline conector and then bury it in concrete.

Use an alkathene connector to take your 18 mm diameter pipe down to 15 mm then short piece of pipe to a new stoptap.

You will turn the water off at the st won't you? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Bahco,

Are you saying the old black pipe is 18mm? it seems to be slightly larger than 20mm blue alk. Ive been having nightmares about this durring the past 2 months durring the build. and now it seems to be coming true.

My black alkathene is 18 mm and I changed the stoptap as above.

Try fixing the leak on your old tap first. Might only need the gland nut tightening or repacking.

You could then fit another stoptap upstream as prev suggested. :D

Cheers Bahco,

any hints or tips for fixing the tap and anything i should be looking at or need before i start?

Thanks

Squeeze-off clamps are fairly reliable, just depends on the condition/age of the pipe you are squeezing. Some older plastics can get brittle with age/exposure to light.

Bear in mind that if you are going to install a new stop tap inside, and leave the existing one where it is, you will need to keep the existing one accessible for maintenance/repair in case anything goes wrong with it (and things inevitably go wrong with inaccessible fittings).
For example: If the water board shut the water off for any work in the street and the jumper in your ST shifts, or you get a blockage (pipe swarfe/mains sediments) stuck think about how much damage you would need to do to kitchen units to get it cleared. UU won't be much help if you've breached regs burying your ST in fitted kitchen, even if their work has caused a blockage.

Better to get rid of it if you can't keep it accessible.

Other alternative is to install your own external tap in your garden.

Dig hole in garden and expose mains pipe.

Cover with water and snip it in half, fit new outside stoptap, problem solved.

Tips;

The size and type of pipe is wrote on the pipe, incase you cannot read it blue writing is class C and green writing in class D.

make sure you have all the fittings and maybe a few extra on a sale or return from the merchant.

When fitting the valve make sure its open before you try to fit it and dont forget the insert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back