Help with Concord WRS 255 Converted to fully pumped system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've not long moved into a new house and I have a problem with the above boiler and heating system.

Basically I the F&E pipe is pumping over - it appears that the previous owner has converted the system from the gravity hot water/pumped CH type to a fully pumped system. I have got 2 2-port zones valves for the heating & hot water but the hot water zone valve is fitted just on the branch to the cylinder that was also the pipework that was used as the gravity feed to the cylinder and also branched into the cold feed & F&E pipe.

The boiler has 2 connections to the rear with have just been capped off and I assume these were the gravity/cold feed/ F&E connections? Does anytone know if these should be capped off or not?

Anyway I need to make sure the pump doesn't pump over. I have traced the heating back and the cold feed is on the inlet of the pump and the F&E pipe is flow pipe just off the boiler - I have removed the 2 port valve to the cylinder but the pump still goes over into the F&E tank?

Does anyone know how I can overcome this?

Many thanks.

Howard

Sponsored Links
Don't like this one bit, sounds too much like a bodge by someone that don't know what he was doing.

The pumped return must be into the distribution tube, you should have a bush with a dimple or notch where the return connects to the boiler.

The boiler thermostatic phial must be positioned in the front upper tapping on the same side as the return tapping.

The boiler must have an open vent and cold feed, and without obstructions.

Much more info required, a series of photo's would be great.

Until you can verify the alterations I would be very selective how you use the boiler.

Hi doitall - thanks for for your response - got me really worried now...

Probably wasn't as clear as I should have been.

The heating connections to the left of the boiler are fine and the heating works well. The cold feed connects into the pumped heating return and not directly into the boiler. The pump is mounted vertically to the left of the boiler and the return connects in at the bottom.

The flow connection is at the top and branched into this is the pipe that goes over the F&E tank.

To the right of the boiler is 2 connections at the rear at the top and bottom of the boiler casing. They are both capped off - do yo know if these are dedicated feed and expansion connections?

Just to the right of these connections are the branches into the flow & return pipes - so my theory is that someone has linked the old gravity pipes into the flow & return pipework and not left them connected.

I could get some photos no problem but don't know how to upload?

Chance are the cold feed is blocked.

You can save photo's in somewhere like photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG or URL tags into your post.

or you can send them to me via email ( in my profile )

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

Took some photos and uploaded to photbucket - thanks for the tip.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

Hope these help?

:eek: The flow should be connected to the opposite side of the boiler from the return.

You still need to check if the distributer tube is fitted on the return, look for a dot or notch in the bush where the pipe connects to the boiler.

The push fit caps are holding compressed air and they must be removed and the unused tappings plugged at the boiler.

The cold feed and vent is unclear I assume pic 0829 but cannot see the vent.

sime10 said:
:eek: What a mess,
I agree.

I recently did one of these conversions on exactly the same boiler. doitall has covered all of the problems, but whoever did this has done the opposite of the right thing on pretty every single point.

As a houseowner I would ask my solicitor and surveyor some very focussed questions, like how they jointly let you buy the house with a heating system in that state. :eek:

Photo 3 with all those Compression fittings is Screaming Dodgy DIY!!!!!

Have a Corgi look at it mate and take Softus' advice, have a 'chat' :eek: with your Surveyor. I cannot believe he would miss that when surveying the house. Mind you, he probably covered himself with any faults by stating that you should seek the professional opinion of a: Roofing Contractor, Builder, Damp Proofer, Plumber, Electrician etc etc.

I wonder if its too late for me to re-train as a Surveyor? :confused:

Blasphemous said:
I wonder if its too late for me to re-train as a Surveyor? :confused:
Surely that should be de-train?

In which case, just sit around until you've forgotten enough... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back