1 cold radiator but works for a week after doing this:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced this radiator myself in September and for about 2 1/2 months all was well. For the past few weeks it has not been heating up.

This what I have to do to get it working:

turn the Thermostat valve to fully open.
Close the lockshield valve on the other side of the radiator
and then open up a valve where the water comes gushing out into a bucket. after a minute or two the pressure drops a bit I then go to the boiler and turn on a little tap to take the pressure on the boiler up a bit.
I go back to the radiator and its starting to get hot now.
I then close the valve. open up the lockshield valve again and turn the thermostat down a few notches as the radiator is very hot now.
I go back to the Boiler and make sure that its sitting about 1.5bar.

Lasts for about a week then I have to repeat

Obviously I've got something wrong with this particular radiator. Its not last on the line as the last radiator is working fine.

I've followed most of the cold radiator problems on the sticky page apart from removing radiator and opening up the valves.

Any particular thoughts on this problem.

Thanks

Abzman

Sponsored Links
How old is your system?

How clean is your system, internally?

When you fitted the radiator, did you flush out the system?

When you refilled, did you add a chemical corrosion inhibitor?

Softus:

The Central System heating itself is about 10 years old. I changed over from Oil to Gas last August. New boiler etc.

When I open up the radiator valve the water itself isn't particulary dirty. I'd seen it a lot worse when the heating company first flushed out my system.

I did have 1 radiator (not the same radiator) problem when I first moved over to Gas. I got the installation company to come out they did add something, they came back a few days later and completly flushed the system. I don't know if they added a inhibitor after they flushed out the system.

When i swapped over the radiator i never flushed out the system or added a corrosion inhibitor. Should I have done this? Is this where I've went wrong?

The radiator did work after first installation.

Regards,

Abzman

Sponsored Links
abzman said:
When I open up the radiator valve the water itself isn't particulary dirty. I'd seen it a lot worse when the heating company first flushed out my system.
Hm.

I don't know if they added a inhibitor after they flushed out the system.
In that case I don't know either.

When i swapped over the radiator i never flushed out the system or added a corrosion inhibitor. Should I have done this? Is this where I've went wrong?
Yes, and yes.

The radiator did work after first installation.
It's in the nature of things that they work until they stop working. ;)

I recommend that you drain again, then add a cleansing agent (e.g. Fernox Supafloc) when you refill, then leave the system running for a week, then drain/flush/drain/refill, and on the final fill add a corrosion inhibitor.

I'm not quite sure why people don't add an inhibitor to their system - perhaps you can enlighten me? Was it that you didn't know such a thing existed, or did you think something else would prevent your boiler and radiators from corroding?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back