Ticking / creaking upstairs central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house with a Ariston combi boiler run central heating system. The boiler is very new so no problems there but I get loud ticking noises from the pipes under the upstairs bedroom floors when the heating is running. The system appears to be running well and all radiators are very hot.

Could the clicking noises be the pipes expanding / contracting with the high temperatures when the boiler kicks in? I notice it more at 5.30am when the heating starts up for the first time

It would be great to silence my 5.30am early morning call!!! I would greatly appreciate your comments.
Thanks. Bill

Sponsored Links
Lift the boards and put some felt in between the pipes and joists, you're right its just the pipes expanding (sounds worse when the house is quiet i.e. 5:30)

Could the clicking noises be the pipes expanding / contracting with the high temperatures when the boiler kicks in
I would say so, The combination of what you say + pipes too tight in their notches causes all the creaking.
A bit of talc here and there can also assist in stopping the noise although the best way is to have bigger notches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back