plaster vs tape an joint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey was in the states the other day and was doing some tape and jointing what a waste of time. Id like to hear reactions and the pros and cons of both. Any views would be greatly welcome. Ps i think tape and joint is a waste of time personally and like what there trying to do unsuccessfully with plastering is a diy thing.

Sponsored Links
If you don't tape it, then you will get hairline cracks in the plaster

A plaster skim adds a bit more wearing to the wall finish, and allows wall paper to be scraped off without removing the wallboard surface. But for painted finishes, tape and joint will be enough

I lived in New Jersey for several years and can say that taping and joining is a very satisfactory way of lining interior walls, just the same as it is in the UK. Even if you skim the plasterboard all the board joins should be taped to reduce the chances of hairline cracks. My personal opinion for what its worth - you can't beat browning then skim, on site work slap up the plasterboard and joint them.

Sponsored Links
I went into B&Q earlier in the week to pick up some tapered edge platerboard to dry line. They told me they dont stock it anymore, Wickes had run out and werent sure if they were going to get anymore in now. Does anybody know if these TE boards are becoming obsolete or did i just get bad info from B&Q.

I just got the square edge boards in the end so will have to plaster instead of dry line.

I've not noticed any problems in any of the local suppliers.

Except for square baseboard (normally the very cheapest) all the stocked boards (knauf and Lafarge) are always double sided and have a taper on one side and square edge on the other. I have noticed that the "Plaster this side" printing is not put on the boards anymore though

Maybe its just my local B&Q being awkward, always have problems with them.

This si the first time i will be platering on plasterboard. As i just have the sqaure edge and wont be dry lining do i still need to apply the jointing mesh prior to plastering?

Ta

Tom

^woody^ said:
I have noticed that the "Plaster this side" printing is not put on the boards anymore though
I think I've read it somewhere that its doesn't matter anymore :confused:

^woody^ said:
I have noticed that the "Plaster this side" printing is not put on the boards anymore though

i think the boards used to read 'plaster other side only'. ;)

or indeed still do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back