Which boiler is best value?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to buy a new boiler and would like some recommendations please! I have a 3 bed house which has 8 radiators. I would like to spend as little as possible but have something which is energy efficient. Please can you give me an idea of the best boilers and a rough price! The gas boiler would be positioned in the garage if this makes any difference?

Sponsored Links
So the real question is. Which boiler is the cheapest?, not which represents the best value.

you can do a lot worse than the Sabre HE (Vokera).

Its £430.00 including VAT from

www.mrcentralheating.com

Its really isnt a bad boiler at all this, its better than some you pay £800.00 for. In my opinion it knocks the more expensive Ravenheats and Biasi range for six.

The only down side it that it only sedbuk band B, but still perfcetly legitimate to install.

You get what you pay for in a boiler. Cheap is never the best option. If you`re planning to stay in your current house for a good few years, best spend as much as possible on a good quality boiler, have your existing system flushed thoroughly, t.r.vs and programmer. You must remember this white box runs your home for heating and hot water day in day out. If you needed a reliable car to get your wife and kids around every day, would you spend as little as possible?

Sponsored Links
Sadly, many who will happily spend (sorry borrow) £50G for their car still bemoan £800 on a heating system

Nixt said:
Sadly, many who will happily spend (sorry borrow) £50G for their car still bemoan £800 on a heating system

And sadly some people cant afford a car at all and certainly not a cream or the crop boiler. Some just want to keep their family warm by spending as little as possible, because put simply, they have no spare money to spend.

Id like a Ferrari but sadly i cant afford one, my Suzuki will have to suffice. Does that make me a bad person?

Don't think you've understood the comment made in reply to previous car/boiler analogy, it's meant to compliment people who place value over heating as well as their car. Good to see such sympathy for peoples limited heating budgets, the motor industry certainly don't care when they say your £15k purchase worthless after 2 years.

YES. all good engineers should have the likes of a ferrari.oohhhh **** that makes me crap. :LOL:

PS - SABRE HE sounds good if your talking about cream of crop gas combis not sure they exist

HarrogateGas said:
you can do a lot worse than the Sabre HE (Vokera).

Its £430.00 including VAT from

Err, would that be £439 plus VAT equalling £515?

Think about a Procombi 85HE, £534 (inc VAT) with two year guarantee or a Baxi-Potterton Main 24HE for about £528 inc VAT. These prices are trade though so possibly not available to you.

No price includes vat I've fitted maybe 40 not a single problem with one. Vokera persuaded me to use their one (same boiler different badge) and offered me financial insentive which they have been hopeless at coming up with and still remain so, just when I thought the deal was set in stone they changed it again. Basically if you want cheap forget trade merchants and manufacturers find these branded versions which they dump. One of the vokeras had the fibre washers missing, not had anything missing out of a sabre (despite the fact that one of the sales ploys vokera tried on me was to say that the sabres wouln'd have same quality control. No it's better by the look of it. Ther first ploy was to deny it's heritage, I was having non of that, I said right lets put two side by side and see shall we? Exact same thing, that shut them up, ******s.

It's the best value quality designed boiler I have found.

I should be fitting alphas but for one thing the local alpha rep who is a new guy hasn't offered me any insentive whatsoever despite the fact I've asked, and secondly we (alpha) are nowhere near this price. When you live in bedsit land you have to have a very cheap boiler in your range, and it will be most of your turnover.

My sales ploys are

1/ Buderus is the best boiler any money can buy
2/ Alpha makes sense for you, as I am the local repair man so when I come to your boiler I will have the parts with me and will get you going right away not having to wait for manufacturers repair man. But I also state that i have a vested interest in them buying an alpha
3/ Sabre or vokera compact i gove them choice of either as best value quality boiler

Most take the sabre I maybe fit 3 sabres for 1 vokera for 0.5 alphas for 0.25 Buderus these days.

I am now uncertain what I would fit at home, after doing net present value calculations I feel sure the decision should be for a sabre, but I only need a regular boiler so would probably use the buderus.

Though I have to say that the vokera rep is much more interested in my 75 boiler a year turnover than the alpha rep (who is either asleep or stupid), I must take a look at the vokera band a boilers, as a design team I have much admiration for vokera going back years. OK Option was a mistake, they're allowed one.

IMO the best boiler i have come across is a Viessmann. They are very expensive but very good quallity.

Now value for money i would go with a Broag Remeha Avanta plus. A rated and a bargin for the price. They are good quallity and reliable too.

The Vokera Unica looks interesting 28kw band a combi for £502 plus vat includes built in filling loop and built in bypass.

Get isnatller to register here for that price.

I am an advocate of the larger boar heat exchangers one of the main benefits of the buderus. I am glad to see that Vokera have gone this way. I believe that in 10 years time the Gianoni and gianoni clone using manufacturers will learn from the error of their ways. Basically copy buderus or fail. I believe Baxi are wanting to buy Gianoni, it would be a very good move for gianoni sell the pup before all the damage is done.

The Gianonni has a disadvantage for those who dont properly clean their systems.

It has four loops in parallel and if one becomes blocked its going to be virtually impossible to clean out one, two or three loops!

Tony

Yes I am expecting these systems to sound like aeroplanes sooner or later.

The heat ex costs the manufacturers £100 so goodnes knows what they will want retail for one. It's a very expensive part. Won't be too hard to change though. Maybe it can be restored with a good soaking in some strong chemicals?

Me, I'm going to carry on advocating magnetic filters, most of my customers take one. I would rather have a cheap boiler with a magnetic filter than a boiler costing £200 more without one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back