Black Spots on Sealant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Could anyone tell me what those marks are which appear on sealant around areas in regular contact with water, please? I think they start off yellowish and eventually turn to pitch black.

I am also wondering how they can be a) avoided and b) removed. We have tried Flash (don't know which one) but that didn't remove a bit.

They have totally surrounded the kitchen sink and are found on the bathroom window sill as well. There is also some kind of greyish dusty looking deposits which has appeared on nearly all of the window sills in the house. What is that and how is it avoided/removed?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
its called mold.

only sure remve sealant and use a sealant for the job, prorbaly sanitry selant

Thanks Breezer; so it can't be removed without removing the sealant itself?

A good scrubbing with some bathroom cleaner should shift it. Oh and it's mould not mold. Mold is the American (spits on floor) spelling. It's also a town in Wales (spits on floor twice). ;)

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks. We've already tried scrubbing with bathroom cleaner but that didn't work. Gcol, any particular cleaner?

Diyisfun, will try to do the bleach approach and let you know if it does the trick.

Thanks.

I've found that Cillit Bang guff can sometimes work if it is sprayed on and left for a bit. Problem is if the mould is in the sealent itself and not just on the surface...

I've been there and it ended up being a hell of a lot easier to go to B&Q, buy some sealant remover and strip all the old crap off; then put fresh sealant on. It takes about 10 minutes to put the remover on, wait for a while for it to work, another 20 minutes say to strip the old off and then another 10 minutes or so to put new sealant on. Definitely gives the best results.

Of course, if the rest of your bathroom is showing its age it does tend to show that up and you end up doing a full bathroom refit like me :oops:

Thanks wizbongre. The thing is, it's almost a whole new bathroom! Was only done a few months ago!

First:

p2928858_l.jpg

then:

p2599807_l.jpg

then:

p4012223_x.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back