Using pasterboard tape over painted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any info gratefully received! I have a ceiling that an electrician said was the oldest plasterboard he had seen (house is 1950s). It is very hard and perhaps that is why it seems impossible to hide the joins. Even the ceilings I have had re-skimmed have cracked again - the house must be going walkabout! Anyway, my question is whether I could use plasterboard mesh adhesive tape over a painted ceiling. No matter how much I rake out the crack and how long I spend filling and sanding, eventually it re-appears. At the moment I don't want to paper the ceiling. I think I have tried most products and don't really think they do what they say on the tin. Would it make much of a bump covering over the tape? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can use skrim tape to cover the cracks, you would then need to apply a thin plaster skim over the tape and feather it into the ceiling so that the 'bump' doesn't show.

I recently had the same problems with one ceiling, I can't remember the trade name but I got some selfadhesive tape from the Dulux centre especially for covering cracks. Its a very fine mesh like tape that only needs a light coat of joint filler to cover it. Its very thin so the 'bump' is negligable. Can't for the life of me remember its name but I'm sure someone on the site will know it.

Hello

I used different method, a modification on what I had been told.

I went to Wickes and got some tape, but not the mesh the paper one.

I them masked the ceiling up just wider than the tape, I channeled it all out the width of the making tape, and around 2mm deep, the whole length.

then I put a pva solution all over it, I soaked the tape in a bucket of water for 10 mins, and then stuck it over the channeled area with wallpaper past, I rolled it flat with a small wallpaper roller.

Filled it, sprayed it lightly with a black aerosol, so I could tell and high or low spots.

rubbed it down using a proper wide dryline sander.

cool

Darren

Sponsored Links
A different way again from me...

I used paper tape but stuck it to the ceilling with wall paper paste...thn feathered ou the edges with easi fil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back