New Rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the alternatives for CFL bulbs. I find them too dim and I have had the equivalent to 100 watt. Are there any other things in the pipeline to be used instead of these. I feel these things are a backward step. We will be having candles again soon!!!!

Sponsored Links
I now use 25W globes where I want a central lamp, they are a bit brighter than 100W Tungsten Filament and give a nice warm colour. As the emitting globe is a lot bigger than a "stick" they are not painfully bright if you look right at them.

LALEG24BC.JPG
this one is 1320 lumens

Having looked at the lumens output of many lamps, I noticed that the "equivalents" are not very precise.

However, I do not think it is very effective to try to light a medium or larger room with a single centrally placed lamp. It is adequate in bathroom or smallish bedroom or utility room, but spots, working lights and table lamps are useful for flexible use.

In almost all cases, an ordinary CFL is fine. "Stick" where it is in a luminaire, and the ones with a glass cover where it shows.

It takes a while to get used to the difference between the lamps. Just give them a while, soon you won't notice the difference.[/b]

Sponsored Links
I'm changing all our lamps to CFLs as they blow. Recently changed the bathroom lights to CFL GU10 spots, and couldn't be happier with them.

CFLs can be as bright as you like!

I think it is a matter of choosing the watts and kelvins carefully.
I had some 11w 4000K GU10s and they glared like hell! Down to 9w 2500K and its warm and fuzzy, just what I was after :)

The colour is important, but retailers don't normally quote it.

4000 K lamps are too cold for residential use in my view. 3500 K in a kitchen, 2700 or 3000 K elsewhere.

I have a 20w CFL which is nearly the equivalent of a 100w incandescent bulb but it takes one and a half minutes to reach its full luminosity, not much good in a hall, landing or anywhere when instant light is needed.

cheers

Two ideas:

How old is it? The more modern electronic ones come bright much quicker than older ones.

On landings, I prefer a lamp that's on all night - I use 8W with timer on table lamps. May prevent you tumbling down stairs when half asleep if something happens during the night. Cost of running is about 120 hours for 8p

The CFL is two weeks old. In ten years I havn't changed an incandescent bulb in the hall, landing or bathroom.
Leaving a light on all night defeats the object of saving energy and confirms the inadequaties of CFLs.
If CFLs don't light instantly then they are a backward step from incadescent light bulbs ( 100 year old technology ) and a safety hazard especially for the elderly.

Cheers

Ethelred said:
In ten years I havn't changed an incandescent bulb in the hall, landing or bathroom.

You are obviously very sparing in your use of electric light.

If you begrudge 5p a week in electricity to illuminate your landing, use a tungsten bulb and switch it on when you go out there.

However, if you use the landing light during the evenings (and early mornings in winter) then it will still be more economical to run a CFL for 10 hours a day than a GSL for five.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back