Temporary radiador removal on Combi-system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can I ask for some advice?

I have a towel radiator in my bathroom on my combi-system. I need to remove the radiator for a few days but still be able to run the rest of the system. The radiator will eventually need to be re-connected.

I have shut off the valves and removed the radiator. Once the boiler pressure drops to zero the water leakage stops.

As soon as I increase the pressure the pipes start leaking again. How do I get the hot water (and preferably the heating) back on without re-connecting the radiator?

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
i should think it would help if we knew which pipes that leak.

if its from where the towel rad was the valves are not 100% shut, if its the rad valve nuts where the towel rad was tighten them

I take it you mean it is leaking from the open part of valve now it is not connected.. Either try turning valve off a wee bit harder or buy a couple of blanking caps till rad ready to go back on

It leaks from the valve on the pipe that goes into the radiator. If I shut the valve off further will that stop it leaking? Is it possible to have the radiator off and the valves shut off but still run the boiler with a sealed combi-system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can try closing them more but becareful not to tighten it passed the f##k it point . This is where you think you can get a little bit more on it and the shaft shears off followed by you saying f##k it why did i do that

Thanks for your advice. I tightened the valve a bit further and it now no longer leeks.

However, I now have a new problem! :(

Once the radiator valves were capped off, I went back to the boiler to re-pressurise it. I used the loop to get it into the green zone and then the pressure lept to c. 3.5 bars. I have tried undoing the valve on the removed radiator and letting water out. The pressure goes down but as soon as I shut the valve again it goes back even higher than before.

What can I do?

Thanks

Hi

I'm no plumber, just a DIYer, but had the exact same problem you describe. After refilling, the pressure just kept rising...

To resolve I just had to keep tweaking the tap on the filling loop, and then monitor the pressure for a while. You can kind of feel when it closes, but the tiniest movement just lets water in again and up goes the pressure. Very fiddly, very annoying, but worth persevering before you call a plumber.

I also think your boiler ought to vent the excess water if the pressure gets too high, so wouldn't worry too much about that.

Good luck!

Ian

gas4you said:
Sounds like the filling loop valve is not shutting properly.
You are right filling loop valve is culprit because i had exactly same problem.I turned the valve on full off position and opened the filling loop,water was still leaking.I turned it touch to open side and it stopped leaking.Filling loop isolater valve needs changing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back