Tiling on Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick Question,

What do I need to know how to tile on tiles?
I know its probably not ideal practice, but is it normal tile adhesive i need for it? do i need to prep the surface of the tiles before using the adhiesive on them?

cheers

Sponsored Links
ScottishGasMan said:
What do I need to know how to tile on tiles?
Literally, in answer to your question, you need to know some knowledge.

...is it normal tile adhesive i need for it?
Yes.

do i need to prep the surface of the tiles before using the adhiesive on them?
Yes. You must thoroughly degrease the surface - there are products specifically designed to this - ask at your tiling supplier.

Secondly, for gloss glazed tiles, some people believe that scratching the surface is necessary to provide a key for the next layer. I'm one of those people.

Wash down with sugar soap and rinse - do this twice.
Tile as normal but don't let your grout joints sit in the same position as the ones in the tiles you're tiling onto.
Normal tub adhesive is ok but you must wait longer than normal before you grout - usually 72 hrs.

You can scratch the tiles to provide a better key - it can't hurt. But if you've ever tried to get tile adhesive off the face off a glazed tile you'll know it sticks well regardless. If you do decide to scratch the tiles, don't forget to dust the walls down before you tile.

Incidently, this should have been posted in the tiling section. ;)

gcol said:
if you've ever tried to get tile adhesive off the face off a glazed tile you'll know it sticks well regardless.

i too have used this argument when explaining adhesives. if it takes a lot of effort to remove a small bit of mud imagine what it could do for a whole tile.

when questioned about the merits of dry wall adhesive, i would casually blob a piece of plasterboard, about dinner plate size, onto a wall.
then next day i would ask the customer to try and remove it.

not easy.

the forces of removal in these instances are concentrated to very small areas. imagine the power it would take to remove much larger pieces. :eek: ;)

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
when does common sense come into it? ;)

....mmm, common sense. i remember that. i think you'll find it started dying out the day the internet was born. :rolleyes: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back