Toilet seat won't stay up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet seat won't stay up because it won't lean back past the vertical.

Either the cistern needs to be raised so that the front edge of the seat doesn't touch the lid of the cistern, and thus can go further back, or the pan needs to be moved forwards so that the seat will lean further back.

Which is likely to be easier?

I'm guessing the cistern, but I want to be sure before I put a new floor down..

Sponsored Links
Have you fitted the fittings that hold the seat ,the right way. Play with the pivot and fixing and you may get it to go back further. :D

Sponsored Links
Call back the idiot who fitted it.

He should have known better!

Tony

It's usually a case of changing or adjusting the seat hinges. How far off vertical is it?

Strong magnets??

Terrywookfit said:
If its close coupled you are in s**t !!! :LOL:
It's not.

. . . . .
anblulin3dv.gif

Bahco said:
Have you fitted the fittings that hold the seat ,the right way. Play with the pivot and fixing and you may get it to go back further. :D
Yes, it is fitted correctly, and at the end of its range of adjustment.

. . . . .
anblulin3dv.gif

Agile said:
Call back the idiot who fitted it.

He should have known better!

Tony
Indeed he should, but he's not contactable.

. . . . .
anblulin3dv.gif

ChrisR said:
It's usually a case of changing or adjusting the seat hinges. How far off vertical is it?
Have tried adjusting it - can't quite get the hinges far enough forward for it to go far enough past the vertical to stay up.

It's not a long way out, but it's far enough.....

I want those shiny bars... I wana I wann.... :D

I would say raising the cistern depending on floor and soil stack connection. A flush pipe and flexi would be less than a tenner +two screws and rawl plugs... Oh and the over flow...

You can get separate hinges, including stainless ones which adjust a fair way. Worth a lookout.
I once made the hinge very tight, so the seat would stay wherever you put it!

If it's one of those horrid wooden things, use a thinner one, or bury magnets into the wood and one inside the cistern!

You could always sit down and p**s lady style :LOL: :LOL:

Best bet would be to move pan forward unless its fastened down with gobbo!!
Flex pan connector and extended flush pipe only take you an hour!!!

Buy another difference toilet seat, I'm assuming they are not all the same standard sizes or are they?

sooey - thank you for your contribution. I'm sure the regulars on this forum value your mature and intelligent presence here.

Re the other ideas - have tried other seats - all have the same problem. The only one which was OK was the C&N one that came with the pan, and we've binned that....

There is no overflow pipe.

Raising the cistern would require a new flush pipe and a new section of inlet pipe.

Moving the pan would require a new flush pipe and a new stack connector.

6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other??

I'm not DIYing it, and I'm not going to get a plumber in just for that job as I've got bigger stuff on the horizon and I'll have it done at the same time, so I'm minded to decide that the answer will be to raise the cistern so that I can get on and lay the floor....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back