Fitting a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m a relatively "new electrician" who has spent 23 years as an engineer in the Royal Navy and I'm now embarking on a career as an electrician. I've passed 2381 and 2391 and have some experience in domestic electrics. What I need is a few tips as I learn more please from all of you experienced ones out there.
First bit of help concerns fitting a new consumer unit. I know how they work (rcd/rcbo's etc) but can someone tell me the "safest" way of extending the wires of existing circuits if the wires do not reach the newly positioned CU. I thought of the correct rating of "choc block".???

Sponsored Links
butt-through insulated crimps, with heat-shrink. You can get crimps with their own heat-shrink incorporated, a bit more expensive but I think a briliant idea.

Oversleeve with heat-shrink or something else eqiovalent to the cable sheath. Stagger the crimps for neatness. Use a ratchet crimper. Sometime you can hide the extension joints behind a back-board, if you like that sort of thing. Or you can put then in mini-trunking (not bunched).

Sleeved crimps look rather unsightly to my eye if they are in plain view. Like varicose veins. If they are inside the CU enclosure they are quite bulky.

butt-through insulated crimps, with heat-shrink.

<<<spits out a lump of cheese :LOL:

Options for a "proper job"

1. Terminal box with din rail connectors
2. Through crimps in an enclosure
3. Fixed choc strip in an enclosure

999. Through crimps in heat shrink
:LOL:

:LOL: what number are sleeved crimps in mini-trunking?

Sponsored Links
Sorry John, I only read the first line before I started choking :LOL:

2A? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back