Laminate glass in renovated sash and case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of having our original wooden sash and case windows renovated and are having 6.5 laminated glass put in them. Quite a few of the panes have visible chips up the sides of the glass, which the joiner says is to be expected when using laminate glass because of the way it is constructed. This seems ridiculous, is this correct or is he fobbing me of.

Sponsored Links
these must be very big chips :eek: if they are visible past the putty or beading

You may get a slightly chipped/jagged edge, and this is due to how good the glazier was at cutting the glass in to small panes. But these should not be visible when the pane is fixed

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, most of the chips are about 4 - 6mm past the putty so are very noticeable one is a series of joined up chips about 60mm long and there are between 4 and 9 chips on each of 3 panes. I am worried in case the panes have been cut too small and that the edge of the glass may be very close to the edge of the putty line and not recessed back to the edge of the frame. I will definitely insist on replacement panes now after your comments. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back