My window whistles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

My bedroom window (UPVC) whistles and howls at the bottom left hand side which has been like this for ages now but I need to try and fix the problem. It's keeping me awake at nights.
I checked the silicone on the outside of the frame and it seems to be fine, well I at least checked were it is noisy and there doesn't appear to be a noticable draft either. I slight coldness but no curtain movements.

Any idea of the cause?

Sponsored Links
could be wind blowing into the drainage channel on your window if the holes are routed above each other this can cause this to happen.the air is getting into chamber around sealed unit. try taping across the joint of your cill to frame with masking tape this will only prove if this is the case .do not leave tape on too long as it will block the frames drainage, a day or so will be fine. for testing but then it needs to be removed. if this proves it. the windows will need the glass removing for further investigation.

wms: Thanks for the speedy reply mate. You put me on the right path and now I have located the source.
When you mention masking tape I sent about sealing all the joints around the noise with it and low and behold it stopped when I sealed the outside of the window. So it appears it is a hole in the silicone outside.

Thanks again mate as I had been messing with this for months and you helped me solve it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back