New Door Closing on its Own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a new PVCu front door fitted yesterday. The door when left wide open is fine, but if its left anywhere less than 90 degrees to the opening, it closes all by itself.

This suggests to me that the hinges are out of line. The porch its been fitted to isn't quite level, but the door frame seems to be.

Would I be overly picky to get the company back in to sort out the hinges, or would it be reasonable? I can be very fussy, so am wary of being unreasonably so :oops:

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
If it is self closing and locking you out then it is a big problem.

Should the door shut on its own, no.

Why not phone the company up and start the conversation with things like, sorry to bother you, I wonder if you can help, your blokes did a really great job, i have a small concern etc etc

The trick of complaining is not to make it sound like a complaint. if at the end of the conversation they are apologising to you then you have mastered the art :cool: :cool:

thanks for the reply. not locking me out at all, more of a nuisance. it doesn't close tight, just swings closed from ajar.

The company are going to the house tomorrow to measure for a new window.

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like the frame isn't in plumb,if the top is leaning forward it will swing shut,if the top is leaning backwards it will swing open,put a long spirit level on the front face of the frame on the hinge side,this will reveal all.
hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back