DIY wood windows project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I bought my house a few years ago, which is a converted Salvation Army Citadel. Its all PVC double glazed to the sides and rear, but still has the old original opaque/antique glass (single glazed) windows in the front of the building which are a bit breezy. Ive attached a pic of the house front bellow:

View media item 95
I'd like to keep the character of the front of the house so I'm looking to eventually replace them with some wood double glazed windows. Ive looked into what it would cost to have them done and I've been told I wouldn't get much change out of £4000. As I'm a first time home buyer, I'm mortgaged to the hilt and I will never have that kind of money spare so I need some other options.

I reckon I could possibly tackle the 2 long rectangle windows my self. I used to make one off fire places in wood and my dad worked on building sites all his life, so between us we may be OK but neither of us have much experience with windows. Although it looks like the windows originally opened partially, none do now, nor would I want them to which would make things a lot more simple. I get a lot of time off with my job and I'm not bothered if it takes me until next year to get finished, money is the only factor.

My main question is could I just replicate the window frames that are already in there but build in a second layer of glazing with an appropriate gap, or is it way more complicated than this to achieve decent heat and sound efficient double glazing?

I have seen one website that just makes the ruff wooden frames and its up to you to finish, glaze and fit them, but I haven't priced them up yet.

This post is getting way to long and Ive got to many questions to post here so any advice to start me off would be great!!!

Sponsored Links
Interesting thought, I'd not even thought about that and it would save quite a bit of work. Definitely an option worth considering I think.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the link Bilioustrumpstaine, I'll have a look.

Thanks again to wms for the idea. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back