Building a concrete fence over the top of a drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can my builder build a concrete fence about 3 foot high over the top of a drain. He said the post and the boards aren't that heavy and only need a bit of soil underneath and the drain should stand that. i am very concerned as I stated to him that if the soil compacts with the weight of the posts it would break the drain. I cannot have wood because the banking is higher at one side than the other so needs to be a retaining fence, he also states it only needs going in about 16ins which to me for a retaining fence doesnt seem enough support. Can anyone help

Sponsored Links
Do you mean there is a manhole cover and your fence line runs across it?

Or do you mean you have a drainage pipe in the ground under the fence?

I'd be inclined to go a little deeper with the posts than 16", even for a small fence, but the gravel boards only need to sit on the surface.

No its not a manhole cover, it is a drainage pipe in the ground directly where the fence and posts would go. I am sure it wouldnt be safe with a concrete post sat on top of the drain. It would only have a tiny bit of soil for support

I would ensure that the concrete gravel boards are supported by the concrete in which the fence posts sit, rather than by the soil.

One wonders why the drainage pipe is so shallow. What's it draining? Is there a chance it could be affected by, say, digging at a later date?

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have had somebody else to come and look at the drain they said they would not recommend putting a fence post on top of the drain. He said the drain is so shallow anyway the post would need to go further down than the drain. The drain goes into a man hole cover a few metres away. It is from the toilet. He said he could get a post in at the side of the drain but further down then would put 2 gravel boards in to hold up the soil. That seems to be a better solution than what the other guy said. The other guy said it didnt need to be that deep, this guy said it needs to be a lot deeper. Will go with this last guy said he seems to know more what he is doing.

If in doubt, miss it out... and adjust the length of fencing either side to compensate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back