over site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello can you help

building an extension have my bricks up to damp course

can you tell me what i need to do for the floor I can not get in touch with my building inspector

dose it go like this

Hardcore

blinding

sand

200 mm insulation (this is what I been Told , I thought it was 100 mm )

100 mm concrete slab

screed floor[/u]

Sponsored Links
Hardcore - minimum 100mm

blinding sand - 25mm

DPM

Insulation - 150mm polystyrene or 80mm Kingspan/Celotex

100 mm concrete slab

70mm screed (optional)

Don't forget 25mm thick insulation upstand around the edge of the slab where it butts up to an external wall

My BCO also told me to put in a polythene membrane (just standard stuff, not a DPM) between the Celotex & concrete slab.

Sponsored Links
No, just told me there had to be a barrier between the insulation & concrete, despite there being a full DPM under the insulation. As I had a lot of large polythene sheets lying around I didn't question it.

It's to stop screed/concrete getting between the sheets and causing cold bridging. It's not an extra dpm.

Well surely its better to have no gaps between the sheets, then nothing falls through! :rolleyes:

Indeed. If you use the stuff with the membrane already on the top and taped joints, there isn't a problem. If it's just EPS or somesuch, then that's when the BCOs insist on it.

"Yeah, of course I'll put it in " he thinks while waving the BCO goodbye :rolleyes:

What a waste of time

In a word, no. Follow the advice given, and use insulation board for underfloor heating in addition to the celotex. Belt and braces, very warm floor, will save you dough. If you mean wet underfloor heating, then this goes into the floor screed anyway and won't need any other insulation.

A wet system should be fitted on top of the insulation and then screeded

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back