Pipes in foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the process of digging foundations for a small side extension (approx 2m x 4m) to create extra space in the existing downstairs bathroom and a utility room. It may be small but the plan is to extend upwards in a few years time.

We have opened the trench and located the foul water drain. Spoke to BC officer and he has asked us to step down around the drain so get the concrete underneath. Ok - no probs we thought, however...

We have now come across a smaller diameter pottery type pipe set a couple of inches lower than the foul drain at a steeper angle to the horizontal. It was suggested this could be a surface water drain however there is no down pipe anywhere upstream on this side of the house - any suggestions?

Second, we have also found the mains water supply pipe into the house. It is simply a 15mm copper pipe running alongside the foul pipe. There is no wrapping around it. Personally I would like to move it as the stop cock inside the house is directly in the way of the opening for the new bathroom extension - can I do this? Or would you take advice from BC? I want to blank it off until BC have passed foundations and trench has been filled and then I can re-route it into house - I know it means no water for a couple of days.

Suggestions welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
the smaller diameter pottery pipe sounds like a land drain. do you have a clay soil type?

anyhow this could still be serviceable but will need to be sleeved over or protected before pouring concrete. if it is silted up, forget about it.

you have what is known as a soft copper water supply. it is thick walled and takes some stick, it is different to the 15mm copper stuff you see above ground. it is rarely protected or sleeved, only where it passes through or under walls.

you could lay a piece of blue plastic pipe in the new extension before laying the 'oversite'. the one end of the blue plastic pipe can be located where you would like the new stop cock to be, the other end could be laid next to the soft copper feed, outside of the building line.

when it comes time to do the internal work, simply dig down outside and splice the new blue onto the soft copper and install a new stop valve at the other internal end.

job done and no need to be without water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back