Choosing new doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am replacing two external doors and have noticed two styles of construction - dowelled and mortice and tenon - I am guessing that M and T is the strongest construction - is this true? Is there much difference between the two. My second question is relating to locks - what is the best combination to look for?
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
yes

why do you want a combination lock? Is this going on an internal or an external door? what other lock(s) will be fitted? When will you use the combination?

As JohnD says,the mortice and tennon will be strongest....
Im not sure if JohnD understands what you mean about the locks or wether its me getting the wrong end of the stick but if you mean a combination of locks then you could go with a 5 lever insurance rated mortice lock and a cylinder(yale type) lock.

Thanks guys for your advice. Jaffa spot on with your interpretation - JohnD - sorry I should have made myself clearer - I should have said which combination OF locks"!!

Sponsored Links
5 lever British Standard deadlock, plus a deadlocking nightlatch, preferably with an internal knob that can be deadlocked (to prevent easy escape by someone who has climbed in through a window etc). The latch causes the door to be locked (to some extent) as soon as you pull it shut.

one of them 1/3rd up from the bottom of the door, one 1/3rd down from the top.

If the door has glass in it, the nightlatch away from the glass

Letterbox well away from the locks to prevent manipulation from outside.

Door chain or limiter to prevent the "foot in the door" entry pushing his way in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back