Leaking windows in summer house/posh shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had our posh shed for a few years and the windows are allowing water to seep through. It looks like the glazing sealant has failed. Can I ease the wooden beading off with a chisel, remove the glass, and then strip and re-seal the glass to the inner and then outer frame again? Is a chisel the best way to go for removing the beading? Do I have to have special nails to reseat the beading again? If so, what type? It's a great wee howff but all my hard work with seating etc inside is being spoiled by the obvious watermarks caused by ingress of rain ( not helped when wind batters the rain onto the glazed door and windows).

Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
We've had our posh shed for a few years and the windows are allowing water to seep through. It looks like the glazing sealant has failed. Can I ease the wooden beading off with a chisel, remove the glass, and then strip and re-seal the glass to the inner and then outer frame again? Is a chisel the best way to go for removing the beading? Do I have to have special nails to reseat the beading again? If so, what type? It's a great wee howff but all my hard work with seating etc inside is being spoiled by the obvious watermarks caused by ingress of rain ( not helped when wind batters the rain onto the glazed door and windows).

Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Yippee

The art of removing the beading (wooden) is to do it using the least force necessary and therefore minimise or prevent damage to it (which happens easily!)

A wide bladed chisel is a good option when used correctly. Use it as it should be used on a workpiece eg// with the bevelled edge facing down and the flat side on top, and work along the beading gently from one to centre to the other side, until it starts to come loose.

Do this for each bead. Dont race it or just do one location on the beading or you may damage it or break it. Mark each bead in pencil (on the hidden edge) so you know whats top and bottom as they dont always fit as well on oppsite side and it makes life easier..

Then remove the glass as you say, and put a bead of silicone around the inside of the 'outer beading' and reseat the glass, and do the same again for the inner beading.

Nails are dependant on the thickness of the beading but generally some 1" or 1 1/2" oval head nails (panel pin thickness) are fine.

Then go outside, and using masking tape, mask up along each edge of the window approximately 5-6mm from the edge of the glass all the way round each pane (trust me, it will save you a LOT of grief and cleaning!)

Now you will have a masking tape square/rectangle just in from the edge of each window pane.

Then get your silicone gun, a dry cloth and some clear silicone and prepare to run a decent sized bead evenly along 1 edge of the first pane.

Spit on your finger (middle finger works well for most on this sized bead unless you have baseball glove hands :LOL: ) and draw it along the silicone bead you just did...when the excess is building up on your finger a bit stop and clean your finger, spit again and carry on. Do this for each side of the glass. and then each pane ;)

The silicone will cure very quickly to a stage where trying to correct a minor mistake in the silicone bead becomes a major pain to sort out (and usually ends up looking worse than it would have untouched!).
So if you have run and smoothed the bead, make sure you do any corrections quickly...(within a minute is my advice)
Hope this helps

Thank you so much for your help and1c. It is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back