APR %

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is it ?
Given we are in so much debt .. then most on here should know all about it ? :confused:

P

Sponsored Links
Annual Percentage Rate. It's the equivalent yearly interest rate that you pay on things such as credit cards and loans which are normally quoted as monthly interest charges. It was to make things more clear to the unsuspecting borrower! Confuses the hell out of me. :eek:

Sponsored Links
An example.
5.6 APR%... One way of looking at this is, if you repay nothing for a year you will have accrued 5.6% interest.
The actual monthly interest as a decimal is (( 12 th root of 1+(APR/100))-1) In the instance above.. 5.6% APR = 0.455 % per month

Northern Rock via www.moneysupermarket.com
Loan Amount: £6,000; APR: 5.6% APR Type: Typical rate (dependent upon circumstances). The APR quoted is charged to the majority of applicants, others may be offered a higher rate.
The rate is fixed for the duration of the loan
36 Monthly Repayments of £181.07
Total Charge for Credit: £518.52
Total Repaid: £6,518.52
Early Settlement Cost: None
Using Loan formula. [ P ( r - 1 ) ] / [ 1 - ( 1 / ( r ^ n ) ) ]
P=Amount borrowed r = rate per month as dec plus one.
n=Term in months
r^n = r raised to the power of n, r^ - n is same as 1 / r^n

£6000 x ( 1.00455 - 1 )
1 - (1.00455 ^ - 36)
=
1 - ( 0.849227.. )
=
=
£181.07 Per Month. Answer may not always accurately reflect the actual monthly cost due to rounding in the advertised APR.

The flat rate might be £Tot Int / (£Loan x Yrs )
= £518.52 / (£6000 x 3 ) = 0.0288 which is 2.88% near half in this instance (D&J ;) )
Not so easy to calc mort as need accurate picture of amount owed and number of months outstanding.

P

I caught my BS overcharging the Mortgage way back after learning how to work out the blessed thing ... how many here argue the toss over 10p change but do not realise they are perhaps being ripped on a loan for £'s ?
Why do the banks get away with such scandulous activities with regard to credit cards and minimum repayments etc ?
We need to be educated in these situations ... it ain't rocket science !!!

P

Interesting me old mate, will have to use your formula to work out my mortgage payments. I wonder how many of us are paying over the odds without knowing about it. The problem is we trust those in jobs we know little about. If you don't know a lot about engines we go to a garage and get ripped off there so i suppose banking is no different.

pipme said:
We need to be educated in these situations ... it ain't rocket science !!!
Agreed, it should be part of education.

All I learn at school was english, math and so on but nothing about finances about how to handle money.

jasy said:
Interesting me old mate, will have to use your formula to work out my mortgage payments. I wonder how many of us are paying over the odds without knowing about it. The problem is we trust those in jobs we know little about. If you don't know a lot about engines we go to a garage and get ripped off there so i suppose banking is no different.

You probably need to be at a defined point to attempt this ... like when you recieve the annual statement .. which tells you how much is outstanding etc.
Generaly they are 'smack on' ... I just found it interesting to have the ability to calc loans mortgages etc.
I reckon the BS's used to con us by charging interest on an annual basis whilst we reduced the outstanding capital on a monthly basis. If I owed £1000 at the outset of the year at say 10% int rate, then the int for the year was £100, even tho' I was repaying some capital monthly.
This practice disappeared quietly with competition from banks who quite properly charged on a monthly basis .. AFAIK.
P

Don't worry with the new legislation all lenders now have to talk in plain english with detailed information that should make it a lot easier to understand and therefore hopefully make a good choice.

Sponsored Links
Back