Main stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to turn my water off at the street so I can repalce a leaky stopckock, but the blooming thing is about 3-4 feet down a hole. Any idea where I can get a long key from. Screwfix only have an 8 inch one.

Sponsored Links
i think b&q do one
depending on what yours is, standard stopcock, 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" square.
monument tools do them all.

I got this"Universal Stop Key" at B&Q for about £15. It is about a metre long and has a crutch, a large square, and a small square (all concentric)

View media item 1506

I got this"Universal Stop Key" at B&Q for about £15. It is about a metre long and has a crutch, a large square, and a small square (all concentric)

View media item 1506

i had them uni's the crotch is ok, large square pain, small square hopeless as its to far up the hole and won't sit on the stopcock.

Sponsored Links
it does help you have good access round here alot of the older 5/8" stopcocks are only in 4"x4" holes and 24" down, pain in the backside at 2 in the morning. trying to use a scoop to get the clay out first.

The pits are in the region of 18" - 24" deep, and were originally full of mud and shingle

I took the precaution of digging out both the pits and wire-brushing the heads.

...just in case I needed them in a hurry one day :)

What an angel I am :LOL:

OOwer missus, You do have shiney shoes John,

Them heads are (sorry where) made by dunbars, some are oversized due to the castings.

Sorry John, you can tell a person by their shoes, very nice man very very nice man,, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

;)

One is the stopcock for the house (square pit)

the other is a fire hydrant (rectangular pit, bigger tapered square spindle, 2" ish pipe)

"Might come in handy one day"

Just a thought, Where's your stop cock leaking from? If it's the gland nut a slight nip up might save you the trouble of changing it.

The stopcock won't close fully so thought I'd change it. The external one is burried in a few inches of clay. The house is around 15-20 years old so no idea what size it is. But thanks for all the post - realy helpful B&Q here i come!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back