How much topsoil?

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I used to have a teired? (stepped stages) garden. But now I've built a retaining wall and filled the hole with concrete debrey left over from my extension.

I'd like to grass the area for my children to play on but I'm unsure how deep the topsoil should be and how much in tonnes to order. The area is 5m x 5m.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated, I'm not a gardner. Also any advice on small bushes, just quite thin pretty looking types that would grow up the fence and screen off the neigbours, not too thick that would reduce the width of the garden or have thorns.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
but squared if flat.

to know how much of something (top soil in this case) the volume of the hole to be filled in is required.

it may be 5m x 5m but how deep?

You will need at least 150 m/m of topsoil, preferably more.

To cover at 150 m/m deep you will need 3.75 cubic metres, to cover at 250 m/m, you would need 6.25 cubic metres.

Thank you trazor how much would 6.25m3 be in weight? I assume you buy it by the tonne? Is there diffent types you can ask for? Sived etc? I wouldn't want any stones or glass in it!

I see what you mean breezer, I've filled in upto a breeze block and a half from the top which is about 25cm. Wasn't sure if I needed to fill it all in with topsoil or chuck some more hardcore in.

This site will give some information.

http://www.rolawndirect.co.uk/products-topsoil-blended_loam.html

6 of their bags will cost approx £420.00.... :eek:....And would cover 240 m/m deep.

Try your local suppliers, they will be cheaper, and will tell you how much you require.

This sounds very expensive. We are probably talking top quality loam here - do you want a bowling lawn? :D I did a similar job a couple of years ago and got my top soil from the council recycling. Much cheaper than this. I bought it by the cubic metre - makes calcs much easier.

The only problem was it did have a few creeping buttercup seeds in, but regular weeding......

Hope that helps
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back