Kitchen electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is there a maximum number of sockets that can be fitted to a 2.5 ring?

Do the cables have to be further protected if chased into plaster and tiled over?

Can a dual fuel cooker be vented up an existing chimney?

Any advise would be appreciated....Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a maximum number of sockets that can be fitted to a 2.5 ring?
unlimited for a ring, but the floor area is limited to 100m² (this is unlikely to be exceeded in a house)
Do the cables have to be further protected if chased into plaster and tiled over?
providing they are in certain zones (up/down/side of accessory, 150mm of corners and ceiling - search for more) then they dont need protecting. but its a good idea to use capping/oval conduit to protect from plasterer and make renewing easier. other areas they must be protected by earthed steel conduit or be buried 50mm
Can a dual fuel cooker be vented up an existing chimney?
not sure

Thanks for advice.

One more question...To link the sockets above a work service can I run the cable horizontally below work top height?

Thanks again

Hypnoman said:
Thanks for advice.

One more question...To link the sockets above a work service can I run the cable horizontally below work top height?

Thanks again

depends if they are in certain areas. read my lsat post again.

Sponsored Links
Hypnoman said:
]Thanks for advice.

Thanks again

If they are buried in the wall, then no, not unless they are horzontally in line with the fittings (you can't drop down a foot, go along a few feet and come back up a foot), however if they are just clipped to the surface and the cupboards in front, then yes you can (as people can see where they are as to not drill a hole through it)

Hi again,

If I understand correctly the cables can be run under the tiles, he tiles giving protection from nails etc.

Is this interpretation correct?

tiles dont give protection....

if they need protection, it must be by earthed steel conduit

Hypnoman, either the cable's route must be clear (direct between accessories, where no sane person would drill), OR you must provide mechanical protection in the wall - earthed metal conduit being the norm.

The idea with earthed metal conduit is that when you drill the metal and the cable, it provides a massive short circuit so the fuse/mcb blows quickly. It takes skill to install this though, it is not often used in homes nowadays.

Tiles aren't going to qualify as protection im afraid - people do drill through them too, and I dont think there's a way to earth ceramic or clay tiles . . . .

...or run along the surface in trunking. (below worktop height).

If you're putting sockets above a worksurface, I think it's great to put plenty of them in, with the ring running horizontally from one to the next. Very economical on labour and meterials, amf if you've run it in oval conduit or under capping you can easily add another socket or FCU in the row later.

JohnD said:
If you're putting sockets above a worksurface, I think it's great to put plenty of them in
socketwall.jpg

Foolish boy! You forgotten to include a 20A DP switch with neon every 60cm to feed appliances below the worktop!

And I said a single row.

But your method saves on plastering. :LOL: :LOL:

ban-all-sheds said:
JohnD said:
If you're putting sockets above a worksurface, I think it's great to put plenty of them in
socketwall.jpg

Ban,
you dissappoint, you coulda put a few extra sockets in at the same time LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back