Help with Light switches.

I astonished everyone is baffled by a simple lighting circuit.

It's slightly unconvetional, but not exactly complicated.

ltg.jpg

Copy this drawing.

The ceiling rose with one T&E and one 3 core - connect it as per the right hand light in my diagram.

The ceiling rose with two T&Es at it - Turn off the power to the circuit you are working on and make sure it is switched off.
Firstly you will need a multimeter as you will need to identify which of the black wires is a switched live.
You will need to replace any dimmer switch with a normal switch for testing, if you have made this mistake the dimmer switch will almost certainly have died!!

You will now need to disconnect and separate out the red and black wires to identify which one is a switched live.
If you already know which is the switch wire then you can jump this step. With your multimeter set to ohms range, connect across one of the red and black wires on one cable whilst operating the light switch on/off. If you see the resistance of the meter go from low to high to low etc when the switch is operated then this is the switched live. If not, try the other cable.

Once you have identified which cable is switched live, put a piece of red sleeve over the black wire to signify it is a live. You now need to connect your ceiling rose as per the one on the left in my diagram.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back