tiles all come loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. a few months ago a friend and i tiled my kitchen.. he is no expert but is quite handy at DIY ... at least far better than me... but over the last few months pretty much every tile has started to move... i would estimate about 70% of the grouting has cracked and come loose..... and also 70-80% of the tiles move and wobble when u walk on them ;0(
I dont know what was used to lay them... but they went onto like a green coated MDF / chipboard type stuff which was under the carpet when we lifted it
Sorry thats all the info i have... can anyone suggest best course of action? getting a little desperate as baby due in 6 months and really gotta try and get the kitchen finished by then ... many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum.
You don't tile on chipboard full stop. Your tiles need to come up. You need to over-board the chipboard with WBP ply and retile using a powdered flexible adhesive and grout.
Have a look at the sticky in the tiling section for more detail.

In my limited experience of tiling floors, if you dont seal the floor first, then on a surface like chipboard the tiles are definitely going to start working their way loose. I've tiled onto chipboard before too, having first sealed the surface with PVA glue. I've done this twice without an issue, in shower rooms both times. Perhaps I've been lucky!

Sponsored Links
In my limited experience of tiling floors, if you dont seal the floor first, then on a surface like chipboard the tiles are definitely going to start working their way loose. I've tiled onto chipboard before too, having first sealed the surface with PVA glue. I've done this twice without an issue, in shower rooms both times. Perhaps I've been lucky!
You have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back