Earthing Steel Dimmer Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an electrician install a few steel 2G Dimmer Switches. There was a fault with one so I opened it up to discover that the earth wire was not connected to the face plate/switch. I opened up the others and none of them had the earth connected. Is this dangerous? I have now earth wired both the mount box and faceplate independently. Is this ok or do they have to be earth wired to each other?

Sponsored Links
Just the face plate is sufficient. If you've done both, this is fine. If you have two cables with two earth wires, they must be in the same terminal.

It doesn't matter if you put the earth wires into the back box or the face plate; BUT you must link the earth terminal of the box and the plate together with a piece of G&Y sheathed, otherwise you are relying on the integrity of the fixing screws, which are sometimes removed, loose or suffer corrosion in the box. Same with sockets. Lots of people keep a pocketful of G&Y in 6" lengths for this very purpose (I sell them at 50p each if you want some :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back