Electric Heating Efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My flat is heated by night storage heaters. However, I'm looking at getting some form of protable electric heating as a supplement for winter.

Ive looked at convection heaters and assorted panel heaters and oil filled radiators. Any advice on which are best for heating efficiency? Convection heaters seem to come in the widest variety of specifications but I don't want one thats great emptying a dishwasher but can't heat a room! :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
They are all 100% efficient: all the energy they take from the supply by the heater ends up as heat in the room. Additional energy is lost in the cabling due to its resistance, but not much if the circuit rating is adequate.

How effective they are is another matter!

the oil filled radiator is a bit big and heavy and has a time lag, but it will not have the "burning dust" smell when you first turn it on and would be safer in a childs room as surfaces less likely to burn skin and if you put things on top of it they will not catch fire.

If you want a portable one, I don't think Panel heaters will do as they screw to the wall.

Fan heaters are annoyingly noisy, and wear out.

Sponsored Links
Heat pumps can be 400% efficient. Of course it depends how much you want to spend.

Beware if you have eco7, using heaters during the day will cost you dear.

Hi

Thanks for all your comments so far.

I’ve been doing some calculations and was pleasantly surprised to discover that using an electric heater for around four hours in the evening is actually cheaper than charging a storage heater up over night!

N

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back