Wiring confusion when replacing central heating timer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been meaning to replace my central heating timer ever since I moved into my house last year, and recently got around to buying one. Now that I've tried to actually do it though, I've hit something of a stumbling block...

I've bought a Danfoss TS715-Si to replace an ACL LP111. Wiring diagrams for each can be found here and here respectively. According to the wiring conversion chart in the Danfoss's instruction book, all I have to do is use the existing backplate but swap terminals 3 and 4 over.

Trouble is, when I took the old unit off the backplate, I was confronted with this mess. Far more wires than I'd expected, none giving any real clue as to their purpose. And nothing wired in to terminal 2 - there should be, if the wiring diagram is correct. But the heating has always worked fine with this timer - I'm only replacing it because I can't stand not having a "+1hr" function.

If it's relevant, my boiler is a Worcester Bosch 280 RSF.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I would really prefer not to have to get a professional in for this if I can help it. Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
why not follow your own instructions? (ok so you only have one wire in 3 put it in 4 and put the new timer on, if that doesnt work put the wire back, oh and its not a mess

I suppose I could just swap that single wire... I just didn't want to risk damaging the new unit.

I suppose I didn't really mean 'mess' as in 'shoddy work', just the fact that there was a lot more behind there than I was expecting. I expected one wire each to N, L, 1, 2 and 3 (plus earth).

Sponsored Links
Okay, maybe my problem is I should have more confidence in myself... it worked fine just by moving that single wire from 3 to 4. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back