wiring a cupboard light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am wiring a cupboard light from existing switch in lobby ,the switch has 3 cables and an earth ,does my new light have to have as many cables. thanks : :confused:

Sponsored Links
You will not be able to wire your cupboard light from the switch. There is no neutral there.
You will need to pick up live, neutral and earth from the lighting circuit - usually this can be found at a ceiling light.

This is not what you want to hear.

If lifting floorboards and chiseling out your walls isnt part of your plan then the next best option is to add a 3A fused spur to a nearby socket and power your lights from there.

fraserrobyn said:
surely one of the 3 wires in the switch is a neg :?:
No. Why would you connect a NEUTRAL to a switch? A switch simply makes or breaks a contact between 2 wires. If the 2 wires are live and neutral, what happens when you make the contact? BANG!

I suggest you get an electrician to do this work for you. The phrase "does my new light have to have as many cables" does not inspire confidence in your ability to do this work.

If you do wish to do this work yourself, please study at great length the diagrams in our wiki, in particular:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts
Before you do any work on your lighting circuit, please make certain you understand what exactly you are doing, and NOTE WHAT GOES WHERE. A good 20% of posts on here are from people who didnt.

Sponsored Links
There may be a neutral in the switch if the loop exists in the switch rather than at the ceiling rose. It sounds like this may be the case if you really meant there were three cables at the switch rather than three wires

Post a picture if you can :)

hi cant send picture at this time but i have 4 wires coming into switch blue onto L2 yellow onto L1and red onto the top with the earth onto back plate thanks :confused:

In that case, there is no neutral available at the switch.

thanks everyone :oops: now 2 plan b can i take the light from a socket nearby with a switch inline with alight on one end and fused plug on other ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back