Boiler lighting itself intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our back boiler (Potterton Brava) hads been locking out more and ore regularly over the last few months, so we got a British Gas engineer around to have a look.

After a clean out, he relpaced the ignition module circuit board, which seems to have cured it.

The problem now though is that the boiler keeps lighting itself every 20 or 30 minutes, despite the CH and HW being set to "off", and the boiler itself being switched off on the control panel!

The boiler will ignite, and run for about 45 seconds, before switching off.

I do know the boiler will light itself should power be cut, but the switched feed is showing a constant light on the switch.

Is it possible the BG engineer changed a setting to over-ride the boiler controls? and I just need to turn them back?

The controller is an ACL Lifestyle digital controller, that is constantly back lit, which I think this is normal. The water pump is also running constantly, and getting very hot - I'm not sure if this normal?

Thanks for any advice

Ian

Sponsored Links
Switch the appliance off and get BG back as a matter of urgency!

thanks for the reply.

I've been trying to get bg on the phone, but they're busy. hopefully they'll treat this as a continuation of the first job, else they'll get me for another fee.

the appliance is off, but this doesn't stop it lighting. turning the mains power feed off should do it though.

Ian

is the boiler on a fully pump system? could be something simple like a stuck microswitch on a diverter valve

Sponsored Links
iam guessing ya had bg out on a "on call assistance"? if they deem the fault as being unrelated they may charge ya for the repair

Update on this.

Got british gas back. After replacing tank thermostat and controller with the fault still evident, they took of the boiler front to see the last fix.

the ignition controller board had been fitted with a link the wrong way round - something about being set as if a gravity system.

don't quite understand it myself, but with the link the right way round it's all fine.

and they didn't charge for this callout as it related to the last problem.

Ian

Does not create an impression of great competence of the first engineer though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back